Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can low voltage process improve the speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherlockBenedict

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I read somewhere that by going into lower voltages in CMOS technology, the speed of the circuit will also gets increased. Can you tell me why?

Thanks

Not sure maybe because high voltages heat up the device which effects the functionality/Frequency !!!

I read somewhere that by going into lower voltages in CMOS technology, the speed of the circuit will also gets increased. Can you tell me why?

There's always an RC slew rate δV/δt limitation. Lower δV --> lower δt .

Same reason is one of the motivations for LVDS usage.

There's always an RC slew rate δV/δt limitation. Lower δV --> lower δt .

Same reason is one of the motivations for LVDS usage.

Hello erikl,

Thanks for the reply but I don't get it. What do you mean by δV/δt limitation? Are you talking about the RC response of a circuit? If that is the case then both higher and lower voltages has the same time constant τ as it depends only on the RC values and hence the time taken to settle to some particular fraction of the final voltage should be same for both the cases right?

Hello Benedict T.C. C. aka Sherlock Holmes ;-)

Right, I shouldn't have led you to the RC path. The δV/δt limitation stems from the current limitation of an amp stage, which produces a (more or less) constant current into a capacitive load, in most cases this is the last (output) stage of an amp. In such case my above statement should apply.

Cheers, erikl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back