Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I use this inverter to power an small ac fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xReM1x

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi y'all.
I'm probaly going to build this low power inverter (unless I find a better design) for 115V 135mA fan.
**broken link removed**
but as I heard this is not a sine wave, its a squre wave thats why it will only work for light bulbs and such. so I wonder if I could power my AC fan with this.
the label of the fan says this :
ETRI
MODEL 99XU
99XU2182000
115V ~50/60Hz
Impedance Protected
Made In France (Viva La France! XD)

It isn't a square wave output due to the effects of the transformer and it will almost certainly drive your fan. The drawback is the distorted waveform it produces might make the fan noisy and it's impedance protection will be less effective. The protection would only be an issue if the fan was stalled. Be careful with the resistor and capacitor values at the left side of the IC as these decide the frequency the inverter runs at and might also influence the fan speed.

Brian.

The inverter wastes some battery power by making HEAT you know.
Then why not use a 12VDC fan?
well than you have a better design?
I'm not using 12VDC Fan because this is not supposd to be useful. I just want to turn a 120VAC fan thats been sitting in my room for years, and I want to power it from a battery not from 220V TO 120V transformer. nothing more than it.

What is possible may not be useful or economical.
I would rather use a DC fan if you have a DC power supply ready. Fans are cheap while making an inverter wastes time & money.

What is possible may not be useful or economical.
I would rather use a DC fan if you have a DC power supply ready. Fans are cheap while making an inverter wastes time & money.
I'm not using 12VDC Fan because this is not supposd to be useful. I just want to turn on a 120VAC fan thats been sitting in my room for years, and I want to power it from a battery not from 220V TO 120V transformer. nothing more than it.

Everyone makes valid suggestions but the bottom line is the fan is there already and the electricity has to be adapted to suit it. I'm not sure what the fan is used for and what electical source is going to be used to charge the battery but I agree there are far more efficient ways to move air around.

You are going to need about 15.5W to run the fan and a little more to get it started so a design target would be say 20W. The efficiency of the inverter will be quite low, I estimate 60% and the waveform will not be ideal so add about another 5W to the load calculation. That means the input power from 12V is about 38W. Round it up to 40W to add a safety margin, that means you will draw 3.16 Amps from the battery.

Before going further, do you have a battery capable of sustaining that load? To run if for more than a few hours you would need a small car battery at least.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back