Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i use fast recovery diode instead of shottky diode in smps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDT

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I NEED TO REPLACE DIODE OF SMPS HAVING NUMBER 12S60 WHICH IS SHOTTKEY DIODE AND HAVING MAIN SPECS IS 12AMP,600VOLT ..BUT NOT AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET BUT GETTING F30U60S WHICH IS ULTRA FAST DIODE OPERATING AT 30AMP,600 VOLTS...I DON'T KNOW THE MORE TECHNICAL DETAILS BUT WANT TO KNOW THAT CAN I USE THE F30U60S INSTEAD OF 12S60 DIODE ...
BOTH THE DIODE IS HAVING TO 220 PACKAGE...
YOU CAN SEND ME YOUR EARLIEST REPLY ON
divyangtrivedi@hotmail.com OR divyangtrivedi22@rediffmail.com
Thanks...

Without knowing details, we should assume that the SMPS is using the expensive silicon carbide schottky device on purpose. If so, a regular ultrafast silicon rectifier can't replace it considering it's much higher switching losses. If the diode is hard switching against a transistor switch, the transistor might be considerably overloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.