Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I reprogramming PIC processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltg

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I use PIC16F76 in my project, before I downloading hex file to the processor I have checked protection in configuration dialog to protect the software. If I download a new hex file to it, what happens? I'm not sure if it is 100% reprogrammingable? Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

Best Regards,
ltg

Hi,

When you set the code-protect fuse you couldn't read the chip.
But you can erase the chip and reprogramm it.

Bye

There is no problem to reprogram flash based PIC's if codeprotected.

Be very careful if you are using older pics with with eprom techniology for developing (they have a window like Eproms to erase the device) if you set code protection with these devices the fuse might not be eraseable any more :-(

I did this myself with some older 16CE625 a few years ago ...

best regards

Hello,

Sometimes it is not possible to verify the chip after having set the code protection fuse. It might be necessary to disable the verification from the SW till you program it the first time (possible from JDM).

Regards,

MH

You can reprogramm flash PICMicro MCUs:

100.000 Erase/Write cycles in program memory
1.000.000 Erase/Write cycles in data eeprom

This should do a while :))

Something similar to code protections happens if you break the LVP fuse.
In this case is possible to come back to 13V programmation.

If your PIC has flash memory; then you can reprogramme it. There is not matter. If your pic has eprom memory or in its datasheet, if you see OTP (One Time Programmeble) then you can program it only for one time.

If you set protection on a flash PIC by setting the protection flag high; this does not mean that you can not reprogramme it. This means you can not see the hex code on flash memeory.

There is no problem to reprogram flash MCU of PIC.

Program step is:
1,erase all code.
2,program 1 byte,verify 1 byte.If happen error,will stop program.
3,again step 2,still all code program over.
4,protection the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back