Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i program 89sxx using some circuit which uses pic micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tux21

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all
i am using my laptop for making a 89s51 programmer. it has only usb ports. i have usb to serial and also usb to parallel converter cables.

i tried asim khan's parallel programmer but won't work with that usb->parallel converter.

so i want to try this now **broken link removed**

but the problem is i cannot program the 89c2051 chip. But i have pic16f73 jdm programmer.

so i want to know if any serial/usb programmer is available for 89sxx which uses pic microcontroller for implementing SPI

Thanks in advance

The JDM programmer used the serial port and is purely meant for programming the PIC micros only. For programming 89Sxx with USB port, it can be done with USB ASP by changing its firmware. Have a look at this thread with the same topic.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Does your pic16f73 jdm programmer works with usb to serial converter? If it works then try pony prog

Nandhu

wow 2 replies in 10 mins!!

what i want to do is to use pic16f73 for all the required firmware instead of atmega or 89c2051.
i am sure jdm will work with usb -> serial

but usb-> parallel is the problematic cable. so i want to use serial port to program 89sxx

Re: can i program 89sxx using some circuit which uses pic mi

tux21 said:
wow 2 replies in 10 mins!!
Thanks for the compliments...This is EDA board

tux21 said:
what i want to do is to use pic16f73 for all the required firmware instead of atmega or 89c2051.
Yes you can make a dedicated programmer with PIC16F73 which will program both PIC's and 89Sxx. You may also consider adding AVR devices in the same. But no one had done it yet.

tux21 said:
i am sure jdm will work with usb -> serial.
PIC devices require 13 volts on the Vpp / MCLR pin to program. JDM programmers will supply the same when connected to a proper serial port. JDM doesnt work with the USB > Serial converters. Try it. Only the signal levels are converted in the converter and not the volatge. USB has only 5 volts.
Cheers

but will at89xx serial programmers works with usb->serial cable
also is there any registry hack or something for making the usb2parallel cable appear as lpt1 and not as "usb printing support" in windows. the usb2serial (prolific) gives me com3 automatically

Added after 14 minutes:

"I suspect the ages of simple programmers has reach the end. Serial and parallel ports are now very rare in modern computers but USB ports are everywhere. Next generation of programmers use a USB connection to the computer. Operation is very easy: A USB-Serial converter is used to send commands to a microcontroller inside the programmer (The USB-Serial converter works nicely in this way) and that microcontroller interacts with the target device. This system works everywhere. The main disadvantage for the home electronic hobbyist, is you need a programmed PIC to build your programmer... So, if you don't have a programmer, you can't program the PIC for your programmer... I guess you get the idea.

Miguel A. Vallejo, EA4EOZ"

tux21 said:
but will at89xx serial programmers works with usb->serial cable"
Yes...89 series programmers like the SUNROM requires only the UART and thus (Some brands not ALL) USB > Serial cable works fine. I am using one since more than 3-4 years from now.

tux21 said:
"I suspect the ages of simple programmers has reach the end. Serial and parallel ports are now very rare in modern computers but USB ports are everywhere. Next generation of programmers use a USB connection to the computer. Operation is very easy: A USB-Serial converter is used to send commands to a microcontroller inside the programmer (The USB-Serial converter works nicely in this way) and that microcontroller interacts with the target device. This system works everywhere. The main disadvantage for the home electronic hobbyist, is you need a programmed PIC to build your programmer... So, if you don't have a programmer, you can't program the PIC for your programmer... I guess you get the idea. Miguel A. Vallejo, EA4EOZ"

Yes..its really tru that serial and parellel ports are out and USB is IN. Its also true that in near future USB2.0 will be out and 3.0 is expected anytime. Thus new programmer designs with USB port are quite popular on the net. You may find ample in EDA too.
For PIC you may use PICkit2 Clone (USB)
For 89C you may use SUNROM (Serial) + USB Converter
For 89S and AVR chips USB ASP (USB) works fine.

Cheers

I am using Smart Pro S51 programmer. I can see it has a Microchip IC on it.

jdm doesn't seem to be working with converter

i will try to burn the firmware into at89c2051 with a universal programmer in college and use it for serial programmer

done!

i can confirm that asim khans isp parallel programmer doesn't work with winchiphead usb -> parallel but it worked with true pc lpt port

also the serial programmer [/url] **broken link removed** works with prolific usb -> seria...e only could not get it to work with ponyprog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back