Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I power 10V to four supercapacitors (20F 2.5V) in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverickmax

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Suppose I have two supercapacitors (20F 2.5V), Can I power 5V to two capacitors in series?

If yes, that mean I can power 10V to four capacitors in series?

Please correct me if I am wrong

MM

Re: Capacitor - Series

Take care: most likely the leakage currents of the caps are different, so there will also be different voltages. Usually when operating caps in series you'll also have to add a voltage divider or z-diodes to avoid that problem.
But I don't know if that's applicable as you won't discharge the caps.
Btw. there's no safety margin (0.00V) in your plan :-(

Re: Capacitor - Series

Maverickmax said:
Hi

Suppose I have two supercapacitors (20F 2.5V), Can I power 5V to two capacitors in series?

If yes, that mean I can power 10V to four capacitors in series?

Please correct me if I am wrong

MM

I think it is dangerous.

Capacitor - Series

why do you need to connect the supercaps in series? its total capacitance will be divided, lets say if you will connect the 4 20F-supercaps(2.5V) in series its total capacitance will be 5F with a voltage rating of 10V...
why dont you look for a supercaps that has this value?
It is more efficient that what you are thinking because the higher the value of the supercaps the more it gets expensive...

Capacitor - Series

I have not been able to find 5F 10V caps but I have done this same thing with 120F caps and it worked just fine I left 2v margin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back