Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I ask for an Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I see the notes around the forum about not asking for IEEE papers and I can understand why. These are sold, and anyone can buy them from the IEEE.

I'm trying to find a paper on matching helical antennas to 50 Ohms by the late John Kraus, which was published by the IRE. I forget the date, but it was around 1950.

The IRE has not existed since 1963. Whilst I thought the IEEE would have the paper, since the IRE merged with another organization to form the IEEE, a search of the IEEE site does not bring up the paper, although it brings up papers which reference the one I want.

Hence the question as whether it's permitted to ask for an IRE paper, which does not appear to be available online anywere - irrespective of whether you want to pay for it. (I can get any IEEE paper for free via the univeristy library, but I can't get this one, as its not indexed on the IEEE site)

Deborah

You cannot share or request any copyrighted materials.

But as educational point, you can discuss the difficulties or questions in the paper or article with the related other members.

They will help you

bassa

A rare book indeed. http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?isbn=0070353921&order=PRICE&ordering
I started at Wiki and used the reference links to find this. or simply search for "john kraus helical antenna"

I had the pleasure of starting my career in Aerospace R&D in the mid -70's and designed some UHF and VLF doppler tracking units. The early design used an onboard VCXO PLL with a 100KHz output transmitted as a sub-carrier on the FM-FM data telemetry link so a similar VCXO could be used to beat or mix the two signals using a sawtooth generator and sample and hold form the telemetry data to achieve a linear range offset signal.. This was received using a large helix antenna invented by John Kraus. The 2nd design used two such helix antennae to get phase and thus azimuth of tracking the landing of the rocket for payload recovery. THis inexpensive system was intended to replace the trailer load of radar tracking equipment (TRACS) which was manned by 2 trained personel at a cost of $100K/yr for maintenance).

added: the VCXO is a $350 unit using an SC cut rugged mounted xtal in a small ovenized controller to achieve 1e-11 stability and 1e-10 accuracy for all shock, vibration and temperature conditions.

If you have the name of the publication, title of the article, publication date, and page numbers you can take that info to your university or city library and get an inter-library loan. They will find a library that has the publication, photocopy it and send you the copy. It may cost a few dollars for the service.

Ed

A rare book indeed. http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?isbn=0070353921&order=PRICE&ordering
I started at Wiki and used the reference links to find this. or simply search for "john kraus helical antenna

We seem to have got our wires crossed here. It was not Kraus's book on Radio Astronomy I wanted, but a paper Kraus wrote. I can't recall the title of the paper. The paper is referenced in Kraus's book on Antenna Engineering, as a footnote in the chapter on Helical Antennas. But I don't have his book with me just now, so I don't have the title of the IRE paper.

But I found a 1977 paper "A 50-Ohm Input Impedance for Helical Beam Antennas" as an "Antenna Design Note"

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/arti...mber=1141687&contentType=Journals+&+Magazines

which seems as though it covers what I was expecting in the sixty-odd year old IRE paper, which I can't locate. The strange thing is, this IEEE paper does not reference the older IRE one. In fact, there are no references dated later than 1948, though the manuscript was submitted in 1976. I'm wondering if this IEEE "Antenna Design Note" is just a reprint of the older IRE paper, though it never says that. But it's odd there are no references later than 1948. Most people writing a paper would have at least one reference to a paper written in the last 29 years.

Anyway, his basic method in the 1977 IEEE paper is to put a bit of sheet metal on the bottom quarter turn of the helix. This is placed near the ground, so makes a lower impedance transmission line, to act as a quarter wave matching transformer. He says the dimensions and adjustments are not critical, but by way of example says he used 70 mm wide strip for a helix which used 13 mm tubing on the 1.3 metre band.

I thought from reading the Kraus Antennas book, which as I say I don't have in front of me, the tube was flattened. Clearly you could make a wider (low impedance) transmission line by flattening the round tube, but it seems in this paper he made it wider by solding sheet metal to it.

BTW, you provided a link to copies of Kraus's book on Radio Astronomy. As I said, that was not what I was looking for, but you caused me to search for the Radio Asonomy book on Amazon UK, where I see a copy for £3.09 (~ $5). I decided it was too good an oppotunity to miss, so I bought a copy! I don't actualy have much interest in radio astronomy, but you never know, reading a book by Kraus could excite an interest. I used to be interested in astronomy, and have always been interested in radio. The only thing is, I have a finite lifetime and will never finish all the projects I started. I don't fancy taking on one of building a radio telescope. If I did, it would not be as large as the one Kraus built!

Last edited:

Sorry Deborra, I understood perfectly what you wante on Helical Antenna by John Kraus. I could have sworn I saw all his books on Helical antenna for sale... but it appears I pasted the wrong link and dont have it now.. So I have some other useful links instead.

http://helix.remco.tk/
http://goo.gl/4FnJM
It looks like this article title you want ..."Kraus, J.D. A helix theorem. IRE Proc., 39, 563, 1951."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back