Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can fractional-n used as clock generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonxilion

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fractional-n pll clk generator

i need a clock whose frequency step is only 100khz or even less

i know in rf system there are fractional-n structure plls which can make the frequency step very small, but i never hear about fractional-n pll used as the clock generator.

can i use a fractional-n structure, eg ,sigma-delta as a clock generator, if needed?

or because of the low performance requirement, is there any other simpler structures to realize fraction-n function?

thx

There're other ways to make a fractional-N PLL than delta sigma. Probably the simplest way is to use an accumulator. If the overflow number of the register used at accumulator is N, and if you add k to the accumulator, then the fractional step becomes F/N. This comes at the expense of large fractional spurs.

actually it is a first-order sigma-delta modulator, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.