Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN Bus Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakypete

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a relatively straightforward question, but the references on the net seem to be somewhat divergent so I'd thought I'd ask.

I want to implement a several node network in a vehicle. Noisy environment.

I am planning on utilizing a STP for the bus with 120 ohm term resistors at each end. Do I terminate the shield at all node's CAN_SHLD pin or do I only terminate it at a single CAN_SHLD. Do I terminate at all node's CAN_SHLD and also ground the shield at one point? The J1939-11 standard section 5.2.4 states to directly ground the shield at only one point, but further on states that if any one shield becomes disconnected the bus will be more succeptible to EMI.

Also, Do I need to run the CAN_GND line to reference the differential? What if all drivers are isolated? What if all but one driver is isolated?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.