Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone teach me how to us ucLinux

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxxx1

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am experimenting on various RTOS. I've tested uItron and uCOS 2 already.
Can you please tell me how to start a development.
Basically, can you please give me the C source codes.
Then please tell me how to compile it in ANSI C compiler.
Finally, please tell me how to port to an 8bit microcontroller.

Best regards,

Looks like another "I know nothing so do all the work for me" question (o;

Basically, can you please give me the C source codes.

No..but you can download it from **broken link removed** (o;

Then please tell me how to compile it in ANSI C compiler.

The uclinux distribution comes with a set of application to use right a away and building them is just part of the big "make" process and you'll end up with a uclinux kernel and a filesystem containing the applications you configured to be included.

There's a mailing list for uclinux at **broken link removed** ...I strongly suggest that you subscribe there for further information.

Finally, please tell me how to port to an 8bit microcontroller.

Don't even think about it since it isn't possible. Basically spoken it needs a 32-bit address space and a GCC compiler supporting the processor. You CAN'T compile a (uc)linux kernel without GCC!

Last edited by a moderator:

I have downloaded the linux-2.0.38.tar as base software.
However, we will compile this software with another compiler (example the H8 Hitachi 32 bit micon or V850 series 32 bit NEC micons.
Can you please answer the following questions?
1. From my understanding, what I have downloaded is the source code for the kernel. Because my plan is to get only the C and H files. Then compile them using the V850 in another compiler. Is this possible? The software was browsed, and I was shocked that I have to study many files.
2. Do I need only the source codes for the directories: kernel, init, inc, lib?
3. Also, the distributions for the ports include again all the source codes. Because we need to write in assembly for the porting for the V850 processors. Again is it possible to tell me which directories are the ports?

Example in my download:
C:\My Documents\linux\arch\m68k

contains some kernel and other directories. Is this directory ported already to 6K000 Motorola processors?

My best regards....:eek:)

Hi all.
I want to write driver in uClinux, How to start? where i can download document?
thanks

1. From my understanding, what I have downloaded is the source code for the kernel. Because my plan is to get only the C and H files. Then compile them using the V850 in another compiler. Is this possible? The software was browsed, and I was shocked that I have to study many files.

If you don't intend to invest any time studying Linux kernel sources than better stop right now!!!

Why did you download 2.0.x Kernel? Only 2.4 and 2.6 kernel have v850 support built in.

2. Do I need only the source codes for the directories: kernel, init, inc, lib?

Leave the kernel sources as it is and use the linux build system!! If your v850 compiler isn't using a gcc/binutils backend it will never work.

3. Also, the distributions for the ports include again all the source codes. Because we need to write in assembly for the porting for the V850 processors. Again is it possible to tell me which directories are the ports?

Processor specific code is under "arch"...but sometimes spread all over and included via some ifdefs.

Example in my download:
C:\My Documents\linux\arch\m68k

contains some kernel and other directories. Is this directory ported already to 6K000 Motorola processors?

Never heard of 6K000...but if you mean 68000 then yes..there is alrady support for it..but thought you are trying to use NEC v850?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back