Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anybody explain me what is meant by transistor sizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujju433

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anybody explain the concept of transistor sizing in detail ?

Re: Can anybody explain me what is meant by transistor sizin

we dont want all the transistors in our circuits to have the same parameters... the adjusting of the size of the transistors according to our needs is called transistor sizing.....
especially in digital circuits where we do not want all the gates to have same delay, transistor sizing is used much........

sizing is nothing but playing with the width of the transistors

Width and length... It is actualy size of channel of MOS stransistor, not the size of whole transistor. Usualy you change just width (W), but you can adjust length (L) also. By adjusting these parametres you adjust parameters of transitor.

Example:

Id=Kn'/2*(W/L)*(Vgs-Vtn)^2. This means you can adjust current of your transistor not just by changeing Vgs, but also by adjusting W/L ratio. You adjust W/L when you design transistor... So if you have circuit that works on 3.3V, and you need greater current, you will increase W/L ratio whin designing circuit. Usualy we disign transistor so they all have same L, and we change only W.

At BJTs sizeing is adjusting area of emiter. It also effects on current, almost the same way as in MOS transistor.

Exactly.....
according to complex circuits designs ( VLSI , ULSI) ... we need to have different gate delays based on that we change the Xsister sizing here sizing means width and lenght of channel of transister ( where conduction of electrons takes place)..

typically we tell it as W/L ratio .... nothing but measure of transister size....

Waste is good book where alot of explanation is given on this matter ...

if u need any document pls repply back I will upload if possible

mujju433 said:
can anybody explain the concept of transistor sizing in detail ?

Transistor sizing means (beta p / beta n) ratio ..this will effect the inverter characteristica....beta p=w/l of pmos ...and beta n=w/l of nmos.
if this ratio=1 then both pmos and nmos will be on at Vdd /2
If >1 then both on at >Vdd/2
if<1 then both on at<Vdd/2

is it ok anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.