Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can antenna gain be increased with PCB layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanmahmood

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am interfacing GSM antenna with a project and I need to know if the gain can be increased by some PCB layout method or I have to use amplifiers for this purpose? Please note that the GSM antenna I am using comes in a plastic package and I cant modify it in any way. Is there some method that I can use on the PCB (like some specially shaped tracks) to increase its gain or not?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Salman

Hi,

I think you cannot modify the gain.
Only if you make your on antenna.
For a receiver, if you increase the sensitivity you can increase the range.
For a transmitter, if you increase the gain of the last amplifier stage, you can also increase the range.
But if you have no access to the antenna, its gain is fixed and cannot being modify.
Except if you improve the match between the cable that feed the antenna and the antenna, the total gain increase but i suppose that it is already realised.

good work.

If it is possible to improve antenna gain or not, require detailed info about the antenna and its environment. So far do I know that it comes in a plastic package. A lot of things do so.
If a PCB layout can affect antenna gain, is also hard to say without knowing any details. Is PCB in same room as the plastic package?
Give PCB layout the shape of a Yagi antenna. That way do you not need the plastic package at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back