Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a phone battery give power to another device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumokiga

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Hi I'm a real noob when it comes to electronics, I hope you can help me :)

So my question is, can a phone battery (more specifically a smartphone's) give power to a device that is asking for like 9 V, 4.2 Ah?

(sorry if I did post this thread in the wrong section, I went with the general forum to be safe :))

A lithium battery in a smartphone is about 3.2V when it needs to be disconnected and charged and is 4.2V when it is fully charged. Then its average voltage is 3.7V. It can supply a very high current for a short duration but its capacity is about 2800mAh for a Galaxy S5 phone (all the batteries are different).

A Lithium battery must have a circuit to disconnect its load when its voltage has discharged to about 3.2V. Some batteries have a "protection circuit" inside that will do it.
If you want 9V then you must use a voltage stepup circuit. You asked for 4.2Ah which is a capacity, not a current. If you use a Lithium battery that averages 3.7V at a capacity of 2.8A then when you stepup its voltage to 9V then its capacity decreases to about 1.15Ah. Then the 9V will last for about 1.15 hours at a current of 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back