Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can A Microcontroller Read A Windows txt file ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassan Al-Mutawa

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller include text file

Hi every one there, i am making a project , its an electronic device that has an mmc card with a windows txt file stored in it & attached to a car's ecu, so i can select the textfile from the mmc card and press a button to carry the data to the static memory of the ecu.

i got the chip to transolate voltage difference between the microcontroller & the mmc cards. but ....!!!??

my problem is that i really dont have any idea of haw to make a microcontroller read different textfiles from the mmc card or even detect them does any one have an i dea haw to select a file then readits contents as bytes ??

Please People Help Me OnThis ITs Urgent.

waiting For Reply

microcontroller xml parser

only if i know the format of the file systems, but haw i dont know even where to start ? i dont have a clue, plz help

txt in microcontroller

This is not an easy task, maybe a year worth of study will get the job done.

You dont seem to know much about electronics. I think it would be better if you start reading about the FAT format. There are some entries at wikipedia's website.

Then you can get some mmc libraries for your C compiler.

mcu read text file

hai
it's possible to read the text files
type some thing in the note pad
configure the microcontroller(program it)
send the file via hyperterminal
i've tried this

sunish

txt file microcontroller

convert the txt file to a hex file using a simple ascii to hex converter code which i guess u'll be able to write urself or generate using some software , the u can send this piece of data from the text file to the mcu by either creating a protocol to read the mmc card or by interfacing it with a device that can read mmc card and then transmit via UARt or I2C bus whichever might be available
HTH

u can rad the above mentioned datasheet to know more about UART and I2C and SPI protocols

guys i think you got some information for me thank you , but you seem that you didnt understand me well, in the mmc card i have lots of files i want the micro controler to select on of them and read it as bytes then send it some where else. but i got benifits of you replies things i never knew before, i have been working in microcontrolers for long time but never been in a task like this ( reading a windows text file ). it was a pretty hard one - i will stay waching this thred hope you all work with me to achive it, it will be a benifit for all all for one and one for all. thank you once again.

May check this thread for discussion on file system for mcu.

You may check microchip web site for the application note AN1003. It is about USB mass storage system for 18F4550. I tried that schematic and the code. It seems the problem is on my PCB because I could read all jpeg and text files on a SD card (512MB) from my digital camera for 3-5 times out of 10. Not very stable but it does work.

If you work with AVR, there is link above for an OpenSource file system. Plus, there was an article in circuit cellar archive about FAT for AVR in the past. I just forgot which month of the circuit cellar but I do have that article. So, if you are interested, write to me and I will send that to you.

Or, you may check the silab web site. There is an application note on mass storage as well. It seems all of the mcu manufacturer do have something for file system and mass storage media like SDcard / mmc card you've mentioned. Just check them out from the net.

John Leung

www.TechToys.com.hk

Hellow Guys , I thing i Got Some thing

MY FORUM MATE (HAL) IN THE ELCECTONICS BORD

POSTED A REPLY TO ME OVER THE SAME THRED HE GOT ME SOMETHIGN REALLY NICE I THINK IS GOING TO DO THE JOB. HERE IT IS

https://www.ladyada.net/make/minty/hardware.html

fat16 file system for pic. In a way I guess it is similar, I think.

HOPE ITS USE FULL

Hi

You can use xml parsing to read and write data from file's

In annex xml parser for pic micro - not tested

All the best

Bobi

AA Ghasan,
If you need a file system component that deals with ur MMC I think u can use the efsl from www.sourceforge.net. It supports FAT12, 16 & 32 on the MMC. You have to port it to ur controller. if you succeed, you can make any file operations on ur card.
Regards,
Amraldo.

AA,
Data is stored as binary data on the storage media. A filesystem component is a software that saves data about the storage (file start, end, name, ...).
Regards,
Amraldo.

I think you should setup a fat file system in your storage chip or sd/MMC card

we have doing some project reading text file from MMC, in order to save file on MMC we used FAT 16 then we developt driver (software) for FAT 16. we succesfull reading text file saved on MMC
regards

Hi...
A microcontroller reads binary only.It is the way in which you interpret makes the difference.For you to read a txt file,U have to implement FAT on the Memory.
An example for that is given here with the attachment using AVR.
Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back