Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculation of energy consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizoo

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
site:www.edaboard.com energy consumption

Hi, i am not a man of embedded system but i need to quantify the enrgy consumption for some calculation which are done in embedded sytems.

I have a program in my device which do simple algebraic operation like addition, sub and multiplication, and want to know how i can quantify the energy consumtpion. I have a fair idea that it depends upon the type of processor, clock speed, memory access pattern. Can some one provide me the exact technique or some references

thanking in anticipation

Hi bizoo,

the easiest and absolutly correct way is to measure the current which flows into your processor, then multiply everything with the operating voltage of your processor, and thats it. (Ok, don't think of leackage current trhough pins, periphales which are enabled inside your processor, operating temperature and so on)

:) easy isn't it ?

Another approach:
check the data sheet of the used processor for a specification like xx mA/MIPS, then you have to determine how many clock cycles your code need to execute, how often this will happen and after all you can make a estimation. No so easy...

Regards,
Mr_Programmer

There are tools out there that will help you measure it in real time as well. IAR has power debugging in their embedded work bench tool. Another cool one that is free is Energy Micro's energyAware Profiler. Using this software tool with their starter kit, you can let the tool take the energy measurements for you. It also measures/displays the average current over the time horizon you run the measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back