Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculation of bank capacitor value in DC application

oppel

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There is a laser in our system, but the system cannot provide sufficient current to the laser. Since the current amount is not sufficient, a PCB with bank capacitors will be designed and added to the system. Thus, current will be stored in the capacitors and the required current will be provided through these bank capacitors. At this stage, in my research on the internet, I always come across AC applications, but I need DC application examples. First of all, I would like to ask you about your experience on this subject, if you have any, literature review and sources, formulas, etc. for calculating the bank capacitor to be installed. I request.

Please help me on this.

To answer your question we need to know:
The laser voltage when ON,
The laser current when ON,
The supply voltage available when it s OFF,
How much current the supply is capable of ,
How long the laser pulse lasts,
How frequently it pulses.

I'm assuming it is a pulsed laser, if it needs a more robust DC supply there is nothing you can do by adding capacitors.

Brian

• Determine the energy requirements of your laser system. This will depend on the specifications of the laser and the duration of operation.
  • Choose capacitors with suitable voltage and capacitance ratings. Ensure that the selected capacitors can handle the maximum voltage across them and provide the required energy storage.
  • The energy stored in a capacitor E=1/2CV2
  • Calculate the voltage required for your application and design the capacitor bank to meet this voltage requirement.
  • Determine the configuration of your capacitor bank (series or parallel) based on the voltage and capacitance ratings of the chosen capacitors.
  • Calculate the charging and discharging time constants to ensure that the bank can supply the required current within the desired time frame.
  • Consider safety factors and ensure that the chosen capacitors and their configuration can handle the expected current and voltage without exceeding their limits.
  • Evaluate the ripple current in the capacitor bank and ensure it meets the requirements of your laser system

There is a laser installed in the aircraft system. Sufficient current cannot be supplied to this laser in time. As the current value decreases, the voltage value also decreases. Is there a circuit (PCB) that needs to be installed or anything else that can be done to increase the current value in this system?

I would be happy if you share your valuable thoughts with me.

You didn't answer our questions.
If you need consistent higher current you need a power source with higher ratings, there is nothing you can do to turn low power into high power.
If the current is pulsed, as many lasers are, you have to opportunity to store charge between pulses and release it when needed. To determine how effective that would be, we need to know more about the source presently available and the demands of the laser itself.

Brian.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back