Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) from measured noisy data

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfj1010

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Thanks for noticing this post which might be a stupid question...:roll:

I have measured a series of data (let's say S1) from an oscilloscope which contains the voltage output from a thermal sensor. Since I need to estimate the signal to noise ratio of the measured data, I have to work out what is the signal power and the noise power.

As far as I know, the signal power P_signal = (Vrms_signal)^2, P_noise = (Vrms_noise)^2 if we assuming the resistance is 1 ohm. Since the data contains both the signal and noise, is there any way of calculating the P_signal and P_noise from the data directly?

If not, I think I may need to measure the new data from the sensor containing only the noise (S2), then I can simply work out the P_noise from this data by its RMS value. Then, by subtracting the P_signal+noise calculated from S1 and P_noise calculate from S2, I can obtain the P_signal, then get SNR = 10*log10(P_signal/P_noise).

Am I correct and is there any other way of doing the SNR calculation from a series measured data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back