Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculating delays for COMBINATIONAL & SEQUENTIAL designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjkr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i ve this code.....................................................................................................................................................................

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_unsigned.ALL;
use IEEE.numeric_std.ALL;

entity cn is
port (A:in Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
B:in Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
C:in Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
clk: in std_logic;
A1,a2,a3:eek:ut Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
accumulator0:eek:ut Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
accumulator1:eek:ut Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
accumulator2:eek:ut Std_logic_vector(1 downto 0));
end cn;

architecture Behavioral of cn is

begin
----------------------------------------------------sequential part ------------------START
process(clk)
begin
if clk='1' then
a1<="01";
a2<="01";
a3<="01";
end if;
end process;
----------------------------------------------------sequential part-------------------END
---------------------------------------------------combinational part-----------------START
accumulator1<=a+b+c ;
accumulator2<=a+b+c ;
accumulator0<=a+b+c ;
---------------------------------------------------combinational part-----------------END
end Behavioral;

At synthesis i get
Max combinational path delay:10.610ns

I need help regarding.............

1. What about sequential part?
2. I split the design and verified sequential path only.. result: NO PATH FOUND,NO PATH FOUND,NO PATH FOUND,NO PATH FOUND. means? :/
3. whether my overall delay is SEQUENTIAL+COMBINATIONAL or max of(SEQUENTIAL,COMBINATIONAL)?

thanks

The above code is an analogy of a larger code which consists of ""components""; hence i wrote a similar code for questioning.

Last edited:

First of all, you don't have ANY sequential parts! That clock statement SHOULD BE: if clk='1' and clk'event if you want synchronous element. Is that a typo, or is that what your code really looks like?

Your question (3) is ambiguous. You can have a path that is strictly sequential, strictly combinatorial, or a combination.

For your example, assuming the clk statement is fixed, you have the prop delay of the register (CLK->a1,a2,a3) + the comb. delay of the adder (a+b+c) (I'm assuming a,b,c are the outputs of the synchronous part??)

I would probably help you a lot by drawing a block diagram of the actual signal flow.

@barry: thanks
i didnt know the first point. . . . But problem remains as it is(with varied code)

For your example, assuming the clk statement is fixed, you have the prop delay of the register (CLK->a1,a2,a3) + the comb. delay of the adder (a+b+c) (I'm assuming a,b,c are the outputs of the synchronous part??)

NO a,b,c are not from sync part....... Then??

then...

You have two totally unrelated paths; one from the clock to a1,a2,a3; and another from a,b,c to accumulator1(2,3). There is nothing in your code showing any relation between those signals.

Which point don't you understand, the comment about your clock statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back