Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cal ram checksum error (HP 54501A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zolauri

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hp 54501a

My question is mainly for HP 54501A digit scope users or experts who are familiar in calibrating and fixing this modell, but every useful advises are appreciated.

I have a digit scope (HP 54501A) and there is a strange failure with it. After every single startup I get an error message "cal ram checksum error, re-cal instrument"

After re-calibration the scope works good.

If I ignore the error message and run the SELF TEST with TEST ALL option the following three lines returns with result "FAILED"

1.Protected Non-Volatile RAM
2.D/A converter
3.A/D converter

When I recalibrate the instrument (Util menu>Self Cal) the scope can be used again. What's more, if I run the Self Test _after_ recalibration all the lines returns with result "PASSED" even the mentioned tree. Since the problem appears _only_ after turning off and on that's why I think that is caused by a backup battery.

The question is: Is it an easy to handle tipical failure (broken backup battery or something like this) or it signs a more serious problem?

There is an important additional info. The scope had been out of use for about 10years at least when I turned it on last week.

thanks in advance
z.lauri

cal ram checksum error re-cal instrument

Hello!

I am not familiar with this specific device, but HP devices of that generation often had a battery backup RAM (aka NV-RAM) with Li battery. Look inside if you can see something like that.

There may also be a external battery which is exhausted now.

You can replace the NV RAM module as a whole part, or you can rip off the battery and solder an new one on top of it. Look for Sun Sparcstation 5/10/20 NV RAM replacement/repair procedures, they have a similar problem.

CU

hp 54501a repair

I took a closer look inside the instrument. I found this

**broken link removed**

ram in it.

Im almost shure that the litium cells inside the package are broken. Since this IC isn't available in my territory I will have to try to replace the cells.
Since I didn't find any detailed description about the structure of this IC so I dont know what can exacly be found in the package. Can this package be disassembled and can the cells be separated from the chip?

Has anybody ever met such problem?

hp scope nvram error

Hello!

Looks like the usual NVRAM with exhausted Li cell.

The easiest way to replace it is to order a sample from Maxim. This may take a few days, sometimes it takes several months or a year. Recently I got samples that I have ordered about half a year ago...

The other way is to repair it as I already wrote, look for the Sun NVRAM repair docs on the net, for example:
<http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#attach>

CU

hp54501a calibration procedure

You have to locate a swith for CAL/NORM and set to CAL then cal. again.
If this way can not get to work, Use a general porpose SRAM with Li batterys and diode. All the pinout exact to NVRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.