Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Cadstar - report generator part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waljit

Junior Member level 2
Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
21
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,281
Activity points
1,494
Hi All,

I am having trouble running a report in the Cadstar report generator and wondered if anyone could help.

My parts library has various attributes defined, these include the part "type" e.g. resistor SMD, capacitor through-hole, and also an "is_fitted" attribute that can be edited in the schematic to produce a BOM report for fitteds/not fitteds.

The problem I am having is I cannot seem to reliably read or use these attributes in the report generator. At first, I couldn't get one of them (is_fitted) to work at all. Then it seemed to start working - I am trying lots of things, so I am not sure what it was that made the difference. Then, I tried to get the component type attribute working - this is so that the BOM go can grouped by component, e.g. surface mount first then conventionals etc...

I cannot get this component type attribute working at all in the report generator.

I have tried making it of type symbol only, or of type symbol and component.
I have tried making it read only, or editable.
I have recreated the parts index.
I have reloaded all symbols in the schematic.

But I just can't get the report generator to see it or act on its value.
If I try and get the report generator to just display it, nothing is shown. Almost as if it is undefined.

Help!

Could this be something to do with the "lists" button in the report generator? I never used that before.
I have made sure that the attribute name is added to the list of attribute names, and that the values I am testing for (just numbers - 1,2,3,4) are also added to the list of text strings. No joy.

For testing purposes, I have reduced the parts library down to just one small file. It is still the same.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks in advance!

Waljit
 

marce

Advanced Member level 5
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
2,008
Helped
621
Reputation
1,242
Reaction score
606
Trophy points
1,393
Location
UNITED KINGDOM
Activity points
13,906
load this and have a look for IS_SMD (if Component.IS_SMD + Y)... Change its extension to rgf first.....
 

Attachments


waljit

Junior Member level 2
Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
21
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,281
Activity points
1,494
Hi Marce

Thank you for sending the RGF example.

Your line which tests the value of the IS_SMD attribute does not appear to be doing anything fundamentally different to what my RGF does, apart from the obvious things like the attribute name is different, its capitalised, and the condition you are testing for is the letter "Y" rather than a "1". I don't imagine any of these things would make a difference, but I will try them anyway.

Obviously, your RGF file example does not work for me because I don't have the same attributes setup in my library. But I might do that as a test, if it doesn't take too long.

Do you have any information on the use of report generator lists files? (.RGL)

thanks
Waljit
 

Mattylad

Advanced Member level 3
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
933
Helped
231
Reputation
464
Reaction score
224
Trophy points
1,323
Location
Lancashire UK.
Activity points
7,035
Can you upload a testing library & design with your report file?

Then we can tell because it will probably be obvious to us :)

Such as - if the usage = symbol and your in the PCB then it needs to be component usage etc.
 

waljit

Junior Member level 2
Joined
Feb 13, 2013
Messages
21
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,281
Activity points
1,494
Well, I just put together a small test schematic, some cut down libs and the RGF file and sods law its working now!
I will investigate why its not working in the previous one I tried - I didn't do anything different.

Attached anyway for info.
parts.txt = parts.lib
test.txt = test.scm
report1.

thanks!
 

Attachments


Mattylad

Advanced Member level 3
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
933
Helped
231
Reputation
464
Reaction score
224
Trophy points
1,323
Location
Lancashire UK.
Activity points
7,035
I bet you did :)

Something small, something that you think will make no difference - it makes the world of difference. :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top