Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CADSTAR parts and generate BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

swen_s

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my part library I have created generic resistors and capacitors of different sizes (0402, 0603, 0805, 1206).

When I for example place a resistor 0402 in my schematic I edit the attributes of the symbol (value, voltage, tollerance, wattage, TCR).

But I don't know if this is the way to go. Or should I create a new part for every different value of 0402 i place in my schematic?

It appears to be easier to generate a BOM if I should do that (en new part for every different value). Am I right?

The way to go is to create a new part for each value.

You can do this easily in the part library editor by selecting the psrt, RMB and copy part, then paste it in the grey section at the bottom.

Then rename it, change the values and part no etc.

By having a common part you have to change the part no, values etc for each design and mistakes can easily be made.
outputting a part based BOM works very well when each value resitor/cap etc has it's own part.

Make sure the value, wattage, case etc are in the part name to aid selection.
I.E. SMres33k1%0402

By using SMres you can seperate it from a PTH one (PTHres)
Depending upon your MCAD system spaces in the name may not be a good idea for IDF output.

Value, tolerance, case etc - having all these in the part name make selection easy.

Putting them in different folders within the part manager hierarchy also helps.
I.E. all 0402 in one, all 0603 in another etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back