[SOLVED] C# handling files - What classes/methods to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am learning C# by myself with no previous experience other than Basic (yes, the old one) and Assembler for micros. Not conversant in C, C++ or Java either. So please don't refer to them like most tutorials do.

Since the initial application I have in mind is to be file-handling intensive I want this straight from the beginning. There are so many options for working with files (creating / erasing / seeking / appending / erasing / deleting / listing and the like) that I find the list of objects/classes/methods somewhat overwhelming.

I have the feeling that there is not a "one fits all" solution but I would like to avoid wasting time trying to learn every single way, to find later that it was not worth the pain.

Honestly, every time I try to adavance on the subject, something new shows up adding to my confusion which increases even more with someone else saying:"this is the right thing to do!".

As you could see I am asking for the criteria to follow, not code.

Just in case, please keep all referred to Console output/input. I will work out my way for a graphic interface at a later moment.

Help is needed and appreciated. Gracias.

Here is a really nice explanation of the methods you can use for file io and what application they are to be put to...

**broken link removed**

And to be totally honest the way C# works I wouldn't bother avoiding the gui simple buttons and text io areas are a straight forward to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…