Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C functions in ARM, architechture of Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartekus

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like ask, why is it important to learn architecture of Microcontroller?

i try to learn Arm microcontroller in C. Does C code change producer to producer, codes which we define inputs or outputs?
for example ; one of them use this "GPIO0_IODIR" another one use this "LPC_GPIO2->DIR"
why there are different commands for same task?

thanks a lot

Regards

Last edited:

if you are learning ARM or any controller you should know the basic architecture of that controller no matter you can do programming and you will do program to work for small programs only.
but if you are doing any project then you should know that if you configure any register then what happen to other block and is it internally relate to others?
what is limit of that perticular block?

Does C code change producer to producer, codes which we define inputs or outputs?
for example ; one of them use this "GPIO0_IODIR" another one use this "LPC_GPIO2->DIR"
why there are different commands for same task?

The predefined symbols and macros to which you refer are typically defined in the device specific header file and refer to register, port addresses, macros, etc to facilitate coding in the C language. They are not part of the standard C language, but rather predefined aids and extensions of the standard C language.

Examine the device specific header file of your particular device to understand what they actually represent.

These predefined symbols and macros do vary from manufacture to manufacture, as well as, from one C compiler to another.

The predefined symbols often reflect the nomenclature of the devices datasheet to facilitate coding in a more easily understandable form, the predefined macros provide essentially shortcuts for the programmer when coding.

However, the C language itself should not significantly deviate from the standard, if the C compiler in question does comply to the C language standards, C89, C99, etc.

I would like ask, why is it important to learn architecture of Microcontroller?

It is important to understand the architecture of a specific family of microcontrollers, so that you can review a devices datasheet and quickly understand to what the manufacture/C compilers nomenclature is actually referring.

For example while the predefined symbols of a port may vary from one manufacture to another, the underlying function and purpose is the same or very similar.

BigDog

when i learn it with one of producer kit, and in some day when i will have to use other producer's arm mikrocontroller, definitions, functions all change do i have to learn all again?
which informations stay same, if in both case i will work with cortex m3 but from different producers.
thanks

I think OP is asking Actually the internal architecture of same microcontroller "example ( M0 )" in different manufactures are same or different

Ex

NXP LPC ARM M0

STM STM ARM M0

Does both internal Architecture same or different

Please advice

Last edited:

All ARM cores are owned and licensed by ARM, Ltd.

A manufacture like TI licenses the ARM Cortex-M0 core from ARM, Ltd, additional features are then added, like ADCs, DACs, etc, to the core design making it essentially unique for that particular manufacture.

The features of the ARM Cortex-M0 core are essential the same regardless of the manufacture, however the naming/symbolic nomenclature, e.g. register and bit names/symbols, bitmasks, etc, may and do vary between manufactures, however the ARM or Thumb Assembly Instructions remain the same regardless.

However, the additional/extended features/modules implemented on top of the core design, ADC, DAC, RF, WiFi, etc, can be unique and vary widely from one manufacture to another.

If you examine the ARM website, you will notice all core designs of the same series, use the same core instruction set regardless of the manufacture, in this way ARM, Ltd maintains a consistent core design, architecture, instruction set, etc, regardless of the manufacture.

BigDog

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.