Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building tesla coil using microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disha Karnataki

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have built a tesla coil using slayer exciter like this one : **broken link removed**
not exactly the same way i used different transistor but everything worked fine.
In order to have good frequency control i used microntroller 8051 to give pulses to the transitor which is connected to the primary of the tesla coil with secondary, one end open the other is connected to the base i=of the transistor as shown in circuit diagram. But the circuit not producing any output to check for proper functioning i connected led instead of primary coil the led blinked. But the tesla coil not working..
here is the schematic(its not particular as i could not find some symbol in drawing tools so please excuse me)
View attachment wireless.pdf

I'm not suprised it doesn't work. The original circuit is self oscillating, L1 and L2 have to be on the same magnetic alignment and corectly orientated.
In your circuit you:

1. overload the output of the micro because you omitted the base resistor in Q3
2. have the secondary coils connected to the base of Q1. It should either be the collector or the +9 supply.
3. use transistors that will be massively overloaded by the coil current.
You also have to produce a signal from the micro at the same frequency that the primary coil resonates at.

I should add that the original design isn't too clever either, I wouldn't expect it to be reliable.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.