Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck Converter Problem (temperature)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this Buck Converter - BD9G201EFJ-M

enter image description here

Buck converter specifications :

Input voltage
- 18V to 32V

Switching frequency - 300kHz

Output voltage 9V

Load current - 0mA to 200mA maximum.

I am performing a test where in, I disconnect the input voltage using this Toggle Switch and measure how long the output 47uF capacitor takes to discharge the output 9V. I performed this test with different input voltage (18V, 28V & 32V) and different load currents (No Load, 50mA, 100mA & 200mA) @ 25degC and the results were normal and as expected @ 25degC.

Toggle Switch :

Whereas, when I perform the same test @85degC, for 18V input voltage and 28V input voltage, the output is as expected. But when I keep the input voltage as 32V @ +85degC with no load connected at the Output, My IC got burnt (smoke came) and for the same brief moment, the output also had the same input voltage of 32V.
I took out the IC and measured continuity between Vcc and LX pins of the IC, and the multimeter showed continuity. So, there is a short between Vcc and LX pins.

My hypothesis:

I think due to the High input dV/dt (dV - 32V to 0V & dt in the order of 100ms) at the input, I think the internal MOSFET between the Vcc and LX pins got damaged and that's why we are getting a short between those 2 pins.

My Questions :
  1. Why is the test giving proper results @ +25degC but failing @ +85degC?
  2. Is High dV/dt the problem? If so what actually happens when we give high dV/dt to the drain of the MOSFET while the Gate is turned ON (N-MOS)
Sample waveform @ +85degC with NO LOAD:

For an Input Voltage of 18V, I get the below waveform with NO LOAD Connected at the output :

there could be any number of internal design faults that have nobeen characterised or discovered at + 85 deg C - it may onlu be rated to + 70C - check the data sheet - the choke could be going funny at + 85, the list is endless ...
--- Updated ---

I see it is rated to 105 C - supposedly, at +85 - the pad on the bottom could easily be greater than +105 - depending on your heasinking - if there is any - so unless it has over temp shut down -> poof ...!

Status
Not open for further replies.