Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BSCANs OVERMAPPED problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarmad88

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all

my design use the jtag loader and chipscope the error occur in map process because

Number of BSCANs: 2 out of 1 200% (OVERMAPPED)

how can overcome this error?

By 1) only using 1 BCAN instantiation in your design instead of 2. And 2) by googling "Number of BSCANs OVERMAPPED", because sometimes finding a solution to a problem really is that simple. First couple of hits all explain it.

It takes me less time to simply figure out the likely google terms, then validate the first couple hits to see if that covers the solution than it would take to type (read: rehash) the solution. And probably also more time than you invested in searching a solution yourself. Either that or googling is not your strongest suit, in which case maybe this will help.

Short version: seriously, read the first 2 hits for the first google. It really does explain it. ;)

By 1) only using 1 BCAN instantiation in your design instead of 2. And 2) by googling "Number of BSCANs OVERMAPPED", because sometimes finding a solution to a problem really is that simple. First couple of hits all explain it.

It takes me less time to simply figure out the likely google terms, then validate the first couple hits to see if that covers the solution than it would take to type (read: rehash) the solution. And probably also more time than you invested in searching a solution yourself. Either that or googling is not your strongest suit, in which case maybe this will help.

Short version: seriously, read the first 2 hits for the first google. It really does explain it. ;)

thank you for your answer

i use only one BSCAN instantiation in my design instead of 2 but when i use chipscope the problem show
i use spartan3e and ise14.1
googling it but no answer found
please help me

Are you using the same google I am? o_O

I used this query: http://www.google.com/search?q=Number+of+BSCANs+OVERMAPPED

And amongst many other that turned up this:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedde...ith-EDk-and-Chipscope-Pro-Analyzer/td-p/50928

The conflict on BSCAN is between Chipscope ICON module and the MicroBlaze debug module MDM.
Both modules instantiate a BSCAN module and since there is only one in a Spartan3 device, there is a conflict (Virtex has more BSCAN modules).

MDM can drive a new set a signals which mimic the signals from the BSCAN module and the ICON module can be set to use external BSCAN signals instead of instantiating a own BSCAN module.
When Chipscope is added using XPS (inside the tool), the tool will make sure that the MDM signals are connected to the ICON module and that the ICON module is configured correctly.
So using XPS will allow you to have both at the same time.

You can do this manually outside XPS but it requires some work and I'm not sure it will work with the core inserter since you need to manually connect these signals and configure the ICON module.

http://www.fpgarelated.com/usenet/fpga/show/74577-1.php

On 2 Apr., 11:01, Pablo
<pbantu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read that it is possible to use OPB_MDM and Chipscope if they
> share the BSCAN. Could someone tell me how could i configure it?

A bit of googling turned up this answer:

You must create a new chipscope icon with Disable Boundary Scan
Component Instance. hta will give you an Icon with more ports than
usual, these ports must be connected to the corresponding ports of the
opb_mdm component (use Show ports with default connections when
connecting ports)

Source:
http://groups.google.de/group/comp....n+with+Disable+Boundary+Scan#54152b6f02c203ec

By very definition of the problem you are trying to use 2 BSCANs, probably unintended. If it's intented shame on you for not reading the datasheet of your fpga (which on btw?) that will have shown you there is only 1 BSCAN resource. And you probably get 2 BSCANs because at least 1 is automatically inserted when you were not expecting it.

So there's 3 links you can read that's bound to give you a clue to what is the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.