Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bs ece thesis proposals (graduating student)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariz

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! :) i need help. I am a graduating student. Electronics and communications is my course.

I need thesis proposals. Please help me. :(

thanks a lot for your response! It's a big help! :)

Dear Mariz,

It would be best to approach a supervisor who has project proposals or if you have an idea in mind to identify a supervisor in your department with a background in this area. You want to ensure that your supervisor is able to provide technical guidance and ensure your proposal is achievable within your time limits.

Ken.

Our professors, will just help us out after we come out with a topic. They let us find out for a topic/title then they will approve it or not. But giving us some ideas or whatever, they are not responsible for it :( So if you have any ideas or thesis proposals, you may suggest it. Thanks for your help :)

My thesis in year 1979 was a simple demodulator for Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier (DSB-SC) signal.
At that time, I did it for the IF AM frequency 455 KHz by using CD4046 (PLL IC) and LM339 (quad comparator IC) to recover the phase and frequency of the suppressed carrier. But after I built the project I didn’t find the time to submit its papers since I was in a hurry to start my private business (for electronic circuit design). But later and for a few years, I took advantage of this demodulator in my private audio RF links by using DSB-SC.

Now I am 64, and after searching on the internet it seems to me (perhaps I am wrong) that my simple DSB-SC demodulator is not done by anyone else yet.
For example, if you can ask your supervisor (in communications) about it (I mean... by using a conventional PLL as CD4046, the suppressed carrier of a DSB-SC signal could be recovered, phase and frequency), you will likely hear him say "It can't be done" ;)

If you will find out that this project could interest your professors, it will be my pleasure to help you understand and build it.
I think after more than 30 years, the importance of this demodulator is rather academic only now. The DSB-SC system is not widely used since its ‘known’ demodulators are complex (if linear) or costly (if digital). It is sad that my low-cost reliable solution was not found by some others hence known since long.

Last edited:

My thesis in year 1979 was a simple demodulator for Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier (DSB-SC) signal.
At that time, I did it for the IF AM frequency 455 KHz by using CD4046 (PLL IC) and LM339 (quad comparator IC) to recover the phase and frequency of the suppressed carrier. But after I built the project I didn’t find the time to submit its papers since I was in a hurry to start my private business (for electronic circuit design). But later and for a few years, I took advantage of this demodulator in my private audio RF links by using DSB-SC.

Now I am 64, and after searching on the internet it seems to me (perhaps I am wrong) that my simple DSB-SC demodulator is not done by anyone else yet.
For example, if you can ask your supervisor (in communications) about it (I mean... by using a conventional PLL as CD4046, the suppressed carrier of a DSB-SC signal could be recovered, phase and frequency), you will likely hear him say "It can't be done" ;)

If you will find out that this project could interest your professors, it will be my pleasure to help you understand and build it.
I think after more than 30 years, the importance of this demodulator is rather academic only now. The DSB-SC system is not widely used since its ‘known’ demodulators are complex (if linear) or costly (if digital). It is sad that my low-cost reliable solution was not found by some others hence known since long.

May I know sir if what will be the significance of this demodulator in our industry now??? Thank you :)):smile:

May I know sir, if what is the significance of that demodulator in our industry now? Thank you. :) :smile:

Sorry for my late reply because I was very sick and I went to hospital.

May I know sir, if what is the significance of that demodulator in our industry now?

Your question is good since a project should be useful in a way or another mainly in industry.

The proposed DSC-SC demodulator (low-cost, simple and reliable) using the conventional analog PLL seems being a novel idea even now. You may like to verify that its analysis cannot be found in any reference at any university around the world. Although I found it in 1979, it was universally accepted that despite of the many advantages of the DSB-SC system, it couldn't be used at a large scale (as AM, FM and SSB) because its analog demodulators (see Costas Loop, for example) cannot be implemented easily as it is case for other systems. Naturally, Costas Loop was implemented digitally later in special ICs and though this digital solution is reliable, it is also complex and costly.

Obviously, the proposed DSB-SC demodulator, based on the analog PLL, can also be produced as an IC for frequencies that the complex digital demodulators (of DSB-SC) cannot be justified for. But, if no one knows about this simple analog demodulator, how it can be produced ;)

For example, here was my first DSB-SC system I built (as a test, in 1980) so that conventional AM receivers (unlike mine) hear my audio signal as noise.

Transmitter (DSB-SC):
The frequency (Fc) of the suppressed carrier is 1 MHz.
Fc is varied at a rate of 6 Hz (sinusoidal) to cover a bandwidth of ±50 KHz (that is Fc varies in the range 1 MHz ±50 KHz).
The bandwidth of the audio signal is about 5 KHz.

Receiver:
Intermediate Frequency (IF) is 455 KHz.
PLL demodulator is based on 4066 and LM339. It is in lock with the varying Fc (frequency and phase).
Synchronous multiplier recovers the audio signal.

Now, after I gave you a specific situation (problem), you can verify that you won't find a professor in communications who can solve it even in theory. This is why no one produced yet an IC for this analog demodulator as it was done for the digital one. It is up to you to decide if you will be the first one to introduce it to the world or not ;)

Kerim

Sorry for my late reply because I was very sick and I went to hospital.

Your question is good since a project should be useful in a way or another mainly in industry.

The proposed DSC-SC demodulator (low-cost, simple and reliable) using the conventional analog PLL seems being a novel idea even now. You may like to verify that its analysis cannot be found in any reference at any university around the world. Although I found it in 1979, it was universally accepted that despite of the many advantages of the DSB-SC system, it couldn't be used at a large scale (as AM, FM and SSB) because its analog demodulators (see Costas Loop, for example) cannot be implemented easily as it is case for other systems. Naturally, Costas Loop was implemented digitally later in special ICs and though this digital solution is reliable, it is also complex and costly.

Obviously, the proposed DSB-SC demodulator, based on the analog PLL, can also be produced as an IC for frequencies that the complex digital demodulators (of DSB-SC) cannot be justified for. But, if no one knows about this simple analog demodulator, how it can be produced ;)

For example, here was my first DSB-SC system I built (as a test, in 1980) so that conventional AM receivers (unlike mine) hear my audio signal as noise.

Transmitter (DSB-SC):
The frequency (Fc) of the suppressed carrier is 1 MHz.
Fc is varied at a rate of 6 Hz (sinusoidal) to cover a bandwidth of ±50 KHz (that is Fc varies in the range 1 MHz ±50 KHz).
The bandwidth of the audio signal is about 5 KHz.

Receiver:
Intermediate Frequency (IF) is 455 KHz.
PLL demodulator is based on 4066 and LM339. It is in lock with the varying Fc (frequency and phase).
Synchronous multiplier recovers the audio signal.

Now, after I gave you a specific situation (problem), you can verify that you won't find a professor in communications who can solve it even in theory. This is why no one produced yet an IC for this analog demodulator as it was done for the digital one. It is up to you to decide if you will be the first one to introduce it to the world or not ;)

Kerim

Sir, I'm interested in your thesis, but to tell you honestly, I can't understand it that much because I only have little knowledge in that topic and I'm running out of time. Maybe I can have a better understanding about the said proposal if I can have a copy of introduction or abstract of it. Thanks in advance sir. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back