Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Brushless motor controller for a tape recorder capstan

Status
Not open for further replies.

avetius

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

Trying to replace an old brushed motor with a brusheless one in an old tape recorder. Naturally it requires a controller so I wonder if this could be built on microcontroller board and how complicated would it be. Here is what I have to deal with:

- 24v input power
- about 10W-13W brushless motor with hall sensor
- 2 distinct rotation speeds
- 2 rotation directions
- RPM pitch control with an encoder (±20%)

Being a tape recorder, the rpm accuracy and consistency is of absolute importance, that's why the most important question is "how accuratly a microcontroller can manage the rotation speed?" I met many cases where the rotation adjustments happen too slow resulting in rythmically floating of the sound.

I am a hobbyist, some skills in electronics but almost no knowledge in microcontrollers. So any hint or advise would be great to start with: like what kind of board would fit, are there suitable libraries o codes I could use? etc...

Thanks in advance

Hi,

there are ready to buy ICs doing this for you.

Instead of a (feedacked) regulation loop you may also do forced RPM control (not feedbacked). Then the RPM accuracy can be as good as your XTAL clock.

But please first do a search for an IC, go the the manufacturers and read datasheets and application notes.
This is how I´d do it.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back