Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broken Geyser Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

samayanaya

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My geysers element is broken and I can feel a electric tingle in the water. Besides replacing the element (which is happening at the moment), is there a way to keep from being shocked by the water while not tripping the earth leakage? I need to make things safer :cool: and I really, REALLY HATE being shocked :shock:.

Switch it off. There's normally a circuit breaker for it at the distribution board.

A RCD ("earth leakage" detector), if present at all, must definitely trip in this situation. Otherwise something is installed incorrectly.

The Earth Leakage detector does trip but I think it might actually be an incorrect one or broken.

I think what I need to do is place some additional protection on the outlet and inlet pipe of the geyser going to a separate ground point. A new grounding spike in the ground not far away from the geyser.

Yes, something like that. Earthing and "potential equalization" between PE line and water pipes is strictly regulated in electrical safety standards. There shouldn't be particularly a separate grounding spike rather than sufficient potential equalization. E.g. all potentially isolating parts in the water installation must be bypassed. The water heater's supply must have a PE of sufficient cross section connected to the vessel. It's nevertheless good to have sensitive RCDs installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back