Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Board to Board bus - high speed short distance connecytion

Status
Not open for further replies.

glb

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Board to Board bus

Hi,

Need to run a bus from one VPX card to another (dumping data from one FPGA to another). Nominally, it's 16 bits @ 125 Mhz ( 2 Gb/s) .

Trying to determine if we can do this (easily) in parallel with single ended signals on say a ribbon cable? Or is it too aggressive?

This would let use connect the 2 cards for demo purposes and use a standard backplane.

The bit period 8ns, so take away rise/fall,lane skew and other SI effects and the eye would get pretty small would it not? FPGA setup would be on the order of 2-3 ns would it not?

The cards would be placed adjacent to make the cable a short as possible.

Longterm solution will be a highspeed serial protocol over a custom backplane.

Board to Board bus

Hi,
You can select some "higspeed flat cable" from RayChem_was specified in 2000-2003 fo ca.1.5 Gbps.. I remember that it existed some other sytem to (ten years ago), but if you will youse serial transmission_I think optical link is absolutly clear.
If I understand your problem correct; you has 16 signals with a clk of 125MHz to handel for short distances?
How short pls?
I belief for so up to 10 cm with "eclips" line driver & terminated line receiver it must function -over "commercial" flat cable too.
You becomes the famile yet as lowvoltage Pecl version too.
I think micrel & philips has higher integrated multibit (up to 18/24?) bus driver & receiver , ther are betterin this application...
I remember that maxim have had some cable equalisators in program_ maybe their are to propose in your app...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back