Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to simulate max. peak current consumed by a circuit block

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenso

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design an LDO and in the process figure out the max current it has to supply (for pass device sizing) and the size of the cap I would need at the output. The LDO is supposed to provide the supply voltage for a previously designed block on my chip. What kind of simulation should I run on my on block (which will be the load ) to figure out Iload max? If I run a transient sim with a ideal voltage source for my block, would that give peak current consumed by the block or would that just give me the quiescent current? If I need peak current at startup, should the DC voltage be ramp voltage with a specific rise time?

How do people decide what the loading profile would like for the current being delivered by a LDO (or even switching regulator)?
--- Updated ---

I am trying to design an LDO and in the process figure out the max current it has to supply (for pass device sizing) and the size of the cap I would need at the output. The LDO is supposed to provide the supply voltage for a previously designed block on my chip. What kind of simulation should I run on my on block (which will be the load ) to figure out Iload max? If I run a transient sim with a ideal voltage source for my block, would that give peak current consumed by the block or would that just give me the quiescent current? If I need peak current at startup, should the DC voltage be ramp voltage with a specific rise time?

How do people decide what the loading profile would like for the current being delivered by a LDO (or even switching regulator)?

TL;DR
I have an IP block the supply of which is going to be provided by my LDO. I need to find what is max current drawn by this IP block. What kind of simulation would give me this value so that I can size my pass device and decide on a load cap for my LDO?

Last edited:

From your load regulation error spec model it with a voltage source and an equivalent ESR= ΔV/Ipk=Ro

Choose the step load and slew rate you require and from the max ripple error from repetitive step loads from your design spec. Then model a range of caps with known C+ESR. Low ESR ecaps might be ESR*C from 0.5 to 10us depending on family and voltage rating for low power. Std caps 10x to 20x worse typ.

- ceramic caps 10 to 30x better (lower T) until microwave then with NPO are better,
- film caps are similar more or less
- ESL affects SRF and is about 0.5 to 1.5 nH/mm depending on l/w ratio.
- LDO's are unidirectional so do not stop active flyback pulses unless there is a low ESR cap but then if not properly damped with Rs & a flyback diode, it will resonate from Q>0.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back