Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best toolbox or cookbook reference for designing 10MHz - 10GHz RF circuit structures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbonini

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What's the best toolbox or cookbook type reference for designing RF circuit structures (impedance tapers, baluns, splitters, etc) operating over ~10MHz to ~10GHz? Antennas not a priority. Looking for something that covers the widest range of tools, tips, and tricks with sufficient practical and mathematical detail that the concept can be easily simulated and designed. Explicit step-by-steps not required.

So far I've shortlisted:

Planar Microwave Engineering: A Practical Guide to Theory, Measurement, and Circuits - T. Lee

Foundations for Microstrip Circuit Design - T. Edwards and M. Steer

Feedback on the above options or any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I think there is no such book yet. You can find a lot of good stuff in research papers instead. Search for RF circuit structures you interested in (PDFs and images). If you already learned something from books, you can get an idea how some structure is made from it's image.
A good example: , easy to simulate and manufacture, very good characteristics, not sensitive to resistor position. Reflection-cancelling techniques using notches and quarterwave transformers, Bloch impedance - simple, useful, no single book covering such stuff at the moment.

I understand that you are looking for a quick path to learn designing (more or less complicated) RF circuits, jumping over basic meaning of them.
I think are people that not even after spending 4 years to get an university degree in this field, still not having much clue how to do it.

This is very true lol, I have a bachelor and am studying master's degree in Microwave engineering yet I'm just now learning truly the basics of how to apply theory to practice.
You can take a look at Complete Wireless Design by Cotter W. Sayre
It covers a great deal of RF design by applying theory to practice.

What works for 10MHz is unlikely to work for 10GHz.
By 2GHz people are finding it useful to adopt
microwave layout styles and necessary to
understand EM HF "stuff" in packaging and PCB
/ module substrate design, to be competitive.
At 10GHz you'd better understand what all those
weird wiggly lines and stubs are for, and have
the tools.

So I have a grasp of basic RF design. In my day job I run into HF signals occasionally, and need to change impedances, or isolate a signal, or go from single ended to differential, etc., with various constraints. I'm looking for a book that has a broad collection of techniques to solve these problems. Something that I can look through and find 2 or 3 potential approaches to solving a problem, and then do some sims/calc to select among them.

Go through books, internet and start saving those "recipes".
You can find many useful stuff by googling microwave device internal photos.

As an example:
photo of two approaches, second may be less sensitive to resistor position offset, bandwidth is probably different;
you can easily deduce what's going on if you familiar with Wilkinson power dividers / rat-race couplers;
evaluate idea using CAD, for example using QucsStudio free simulator
single-differential.jpg

single-differential-2.jpg

There are many good "recipes" in research papers. For example, microstrip / SIW phase inverters.

You can check Stephen A. Maas "The RF and Microwave Circuit Design Cookbook", my favorite chapters are mixer and multipliers.

there was a good book, back in the day, called "stripline circuit design". It was like what you seek. unfortunately, it does not have any microstrip examples in it--all stripline...but it is still useful.

another old timer is Matheii, Young, and Jone's bible, for pretty much anything related to filters and high power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back