Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Regulator for Li-Ion Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wat007

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am planning to use Single Li-ion for my board with MCU and other ICs. Li-ion voltage range is from 3.0V to 4.2V. Since some of my ICs' supply voltage should not exceed 3.6V, i am planning two regulate the voltage to at least 3.0V.

My questions are:
1. What is the minimum input voltage if I will be using 3.0V zener diode?
2. Any suggestion for low-drop voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

1. What is the minimum input voltage if I will be using 3.0V zener diode?
We can´t give an answer without circuit. At least: series resistor, diode voltage, min/max load current, min/max output voltage

2. Any suggestion for low-drop voltage regulator?
We can´t give an answer without more informations...

Klaus

Reactions: wat007

wat007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A low voltage zener diode is a poor voltage regulator because its voltage changes with load current and with temperature changes.
A zener diode wastes battery current all the time.
Instead you should use a low dropout linear voltage regulator IC. The one I use is not made anymore but I still have some to use for my projects.
Do you have a circuit that will disconnect the battery from its load when its voltage drops below about 3.2V? If you don't then the battery cell will be destroyed and might catch on fire if it is charged.

Reactions: wat007

wat007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi KlausST, I will give post drawing when available. Regulated supply should power MCU and 2-3 more ICs (probably around 100mA, Iout).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Audioguru, I'll go with LDO and planning to use LD6836TD/30H.

In disconnecting battery,can schmitt tigger do the job? I want to make it simple as possible.
Would you mind sharing your circuit?

Thanks!

A Schmitt trigger has an output that switches high or low. It will not disconnect the load from the battery but it can sense the battery voltage and switch a Mosfet to disconnect the load away from the battery.

@Audioguru, that is an option.

Any other ways? Thanks

There are many inexpensive remote controlled (using infrared) toy helicopters that use a custom remote control IC that correctly charges a Lithium battery and disconnects the load when the battery voltage becomes low.

Status
Not open for further replies.