Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best power amplifier chip for noise generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasan_lebnani

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone
i wish you all are fine

i have a question that is...
i need to use a power amplifier to generate a noise signal from noise generator
am not that good in electronics so i want your advise to know which chip i should order and bring

i want it to work for High frequency "10 - 50 MHZ"
and its for 2 or little more Watt

thanks in advanced.

It is illegal to transmit a high power radio signal without a licence. Maybe if you have a HAM radio operator's licence and the signal is crystal controlled and filtered to operate at a frequency that does not cause interference. But then you must transmit speech, not noise.

The noise power is defined as P= kTB, where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvins, and B is the bandwidth in Hz.
For your frequency band of interest, 10...50 MHz B is 40E6 Hz. The noise power generated by a resistor (of any value, say 50 Ohms) is then defined also by ambient temperature, T = ~300 K.
An estimate in dBm is then P = -174 + 10 log B = -174 + 76 = -98 dBm.
To get 2 Watts or 33 dBm (do you handle the decibels?) the amplifier would have more than 130 dB gain.
Such amplifier can be made bu the design of a flat-response wideband amplifier requires an experienced designer. If you are such person, then look into "www.minicircuits.com" and select suitable chips covering your band of interest, also gradually more and more power to get up to 33 dBm (2Watts).
The NoiseCom company builds similar noise amplifiers but going up to 2 W will be costly.

What is the purpose of your project? If it is a jammer, then read the above colleague's answer first.

Because noise is a random assortment of pulses, the RMS power is defined as above, BUT when all the little pulses add up every now and then you get a high value peak, so your amplifier must have a much higher PEAK power rating. I seem to remember that it should be at least 14 dB, so you need a power amp with at least 10W peak power rating.
Frank

The noise power is defined as P= kTB, where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvins, and B is the bandwidth in Hz.
For your frequency band of interest, 10...50 MHz B is 40E6 Hz. The noise power generated by a resistor (of any value, say 50 Ohms) is then defined also by ambient temperature, T = ~300 K.
An estimate in dBm is then P = -174 + 10 log B = -174 + 76 = -98 dBm.
To get 2 Watts or 33 dBm (do you handle the decibels?) the amplifier would have more than 130 dB gain.
Such amplifier can be made bu the design of a flat-response wideband amplifier requires an experienced designer. If you are such person, then look into "www.minicircuits.com" and select suitable chips covering your band of interest, also gradually more and more power to get up to 33 dBm (2Watts).
The NoiseCom company builds similar noise amplifiers but going up to 2 W will be costly.

What is the purpose of your project? If it is a jammer, then read the above colleague's answer first.

yeah actually its a jammer for a university project
now am doing the project in labs bit at the end for sure am gonna have a permission to product it in places that they need the jammer there

A jammer violates national and international telecommunication rules and won't be allowed in any place.

A jammer violates national and international telecommunication rules and won't be allowed in any place.

no brother its allowed when u take a permission because u are preventing cameras from recording withput dealing any damage for them

an example for using them... cinemas...
its not allowed to recored the video u r watching there
so there should be a camera jammer to save the copyrights

- - - Updated - - -

guys i didnt find such a power amplifier that works in my range
i need the chip i dont need only theory
please help me guys cuz i need it

- - - Updated - - -

actually i need it from 10 to 24 MHZ

but i didnt find one so im searching for more

Last edited by a moderator:

10 - 24MHz includes quite a few different licensed spectrum users who will hunt you down and kill your jammer (Trust me on this, folk will be more then mildly miffed with you), intentional interference is directly criminal almost everywhere, and trying to prevent one crime does not in general justify committing another.
Besides camera video links are mostly in the microwave bands these days, the thing you are most likely to jam is the cinemas sound system.....

The 'chip' is a mosfet or two, with some surrounding ferrite transformers, caps and resistors, Dye and Granburg, "Radio Frequency Transistors" has the design math, for all that it pre dates modern LDMOS parts, designing power stages is interesting but dont use them for jammers, use them to talk.

Now minicircuits sell (very good) modules in that range but I suspect you will not like the price of a couple of watts from them, any ham into building their own kit very likely has a much cheaper design ($20 or so) that will work, but are unlikely to talk about it for this highly anti social application.
There are far more interesting HF projects then simple minded noise jammers, which are about the most pointless things, especially at that kind of flea power level.

Incidentally, you do know that a wavelength at 10MHz is ~30M, which has implications for the size of the aerial system if you actually want to radiate that power instead of heating up a matching network?

73, M0HCN.

Seriously I have no idea how a moderate RF level should prevent operation of a video camera. This sounds like an urban legend.

Of course I don't know the telecommunication regulations in your country, but it's rather unlikely that they permit wideband transmitters of several watts in the SW range. There's a large number of individual frequencies in this band reserved for specific services, e.g. radionavigation and aviation related. To guarantee the operation of this services is a legally protected interest superior to copyrights.

so guys now i cant find any chip or ic for a power amplifier with ~2 watt and covers 10-24MHZ? with a good price??

- - - Updated - - -

im searching on Google
just find audio power amplifier and boards.
and am not that experience .
i need to get that ic quickly before my presentation in uni

and thanks in advanced

Are you simply studying how to solder parts together from a circuit designed by somebody else?
Why don't you make a low frequency radio circuit that is legal and useful?

You won't find a chip for this, the amplifier circuit pretty much requires significant inductors if the efficiency is to be sane and those cannot really be made on chip, just do it with a couple of RD06HVF1 or similar and some 43 mix binocular ferrite in one of the standard circuits for such things ("Experimental methods in RF design" may be a book worth a look).
Time was there were a few thin film modules, but the market for such as moved up into the UHF and above (CATV head end gear in the american market).

You are at uni, you should not be panicking at the thought a few components and a smith chart or three.

I do not however believe that a couple of watts PEP at HF will have any effect on a camera more then a very few inches from the aerial.

73 M0HCN.

What receiver operates at 10MHz to 50Hz today that somebody will be using at a university or anywhere else? An old 27MHz CB transmitter (breaker, breaker)?? Maybe the wireless phone I had 20 years ago that worked at 49MHz?
Do you have an old CB transmitter and receiver or very old wireless phone to test your Jammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.