Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Best Microcontoller for high voltage PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganformeat

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!
I am currently new to this forum, and not too experienced with electronics, so please do not shun my ignorance. For a project I am working on I need to control the speed of a high voltage motor. I was thinking of using a micro controller and a MOFSFET to control the speed through PWM. The problem is, I am not sure what micro controller to get. Also, if there is a more efficient way to use high voltage PWM, I would love to hear your ideas.

Just about ANY microcontroller will do, as far as PWM goes. What other features you need will impact what the "best" one is. If you're "not too experienced" with electronics, this might not be a good first project. There's a lot to think about here.

Hi there!
I am currently new to this forum, and not too experienced with electronics, so please do not shun my ignorance. For a project I am working on I need to control the speed of a high voltage motor. I was thinking of using a micro controller and a MOFSFET to control the speed through PWM. The problem is, I am not sure what micro controller to get. Also, if there is a more efficient way to use high voltage PWM, I would love to hear your ideas.

As it was said before any microcontroller could control any motor via PWM, for basic PWM control, I could recommend you:
-Newbie: Any microcontroller or arduino if you want. It is pretty easy, you only need pwm library and mosfets. You'll find schematics easily

-for advanced methods
dspic Motor Control series.(dsPIC33EP64MC202 for example) I worked with them 2 years ago. I loved it.

Hi there!

One thing you didn't mention till now is the type of motor you'll be controlling. I assumed that you were talking about a high-voltage DC motor, but you could have other motors in mind. You should mention which type of motor you'll be controlling.

If it's a simple high-voltage DC motor, the microcontroller will only generate the PWM signals and will be powered off a low-voltage regulated supply. So, like mentioned above, just about any microcontroller would do. Other features you wish to include, such as display (speed, power, etc), protection (over-voltage, over-current, short-circuit, etc) or any additional features you'll include, will affect your microcontroller choice as then you need to think about the number of I/O pins and the microcontroller peripherals.

If it's an induction motor, for example, you might want to use microcontrollers with dedicated PWM peripherals designed for motor control applications. For simple one-phase motor control, you can use the PWM module in a PIC or AVR. For greater control of the motor and for more complex control, eg for 3-phase induction motor control, you might want to use microcontrollers designed with special 3-phase PWM modules, such as the dsPIC33FJxxMCxxx series of microcontroller (eg dsPIC33FJ12MC202).

You need to choose a good MOSFET driver circuit. This should be rather simple. You can use dedicated drivers such as TC427 (if only low side drive is required) or IR2110 (if both high and low-side drive are required). You could also build simple drivers based on discrete transistors, depending on drive requirements.

You might choose to include isolation. In that case, choose good optically-isolated drivers. Some drivers you can look at include TLP250, TLP350, HCPL3120.

Use MOSFETs with high enough voltage rating, high enough current rating and low on-state drain-source resistance (Rdson).

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Last edited:

Thank you so much Tahmid!
Just before I read your responce I realised that the motor I was planning on using was in fact 3 phase induction motor, and I had no idea on how to control it. I was really very lost, and you seem to have answered all of my questions at once! I will definetely look into every thing you just said!

Also take a look at these:

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/238042/#post1018213
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/238231/#post1021791
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/238231/#post1018834

Go through the information presented in the above linked threads. I'm sure you'll find more helpful information.

Here is one of the motor control dsPICs I was talking about:
dsPIC33FJ12MC202
https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en520467
Datasheet: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/70265E.pdf

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

DEAR veganformeat
A good Application note for 3 phase induction motor control with PID and encoder is https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/appnotes/00900a.pdf, The easy step by step rule is

1.Please read the basics of induction motor
2.Use Microchips 18Fxx31 chips which is vary easy and made for this application.
3.Use IGBTs with TLP250 driver for High voltage appliaction
4.Generate a sine PWM refrance Lookup table and use 18Fxx31's hardware PWM module for 3Phase modulation ( 120 degree apart each other )
5.All this are explained in AN900.

I have read this AN few years ago and implemented it successfully

Status
Not open for further replies.