Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best General Purpose Schematic Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigahertz

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here's a question I don't recall ever seeing posted: recommendations for schematic capture programs. Prefer something that can output a variety of different netlist formats so different layout programs can be used. Right now it's looking like the newest version of orcad CIS. Any other recommendations? Thanks

I usually do not reply to best "program" questions.
But CIS you are trying is very versatile tool.
Other options are mostly tied to specific layout tool. There is also View Logic now called DX Designer after Mentor took it over. It has many features of CIS OrCAD.

M

gigahertz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for the reply. yes, i was reluctant to post a "what is best sw?" question but noticed there seemed to be a real lack of discussion concerning schematic sw.

I'll have to look into DxDesigner because it looks like Mentor Graphics included to me when I upgraded my pads. I haven't looked at DxDesigner yet.

If it comes down to between DxDesigner and Orcad, I'll likely choose which is easiest to use.

One thing that looks very interesting about the orcad is their so-called "CIP" add-on to interface with Digikey. I really doubt they will be including schematic symbols for every single digikey part, but it looks interesting

Also if you are getting PADS depending on your license you can get PADS logic which is native schematic for PADS. This way you can use cross probe
I personally like OrCAD better.

Regarding connection to Digikey parts if you are doing only test boards or even home made designs that should be fine but if you are building a library is better build your own symbols.

M

If you have PADS already, then I would have to recommend DxDesigner. Cross probing inbetween is really handy.

If you want just the simplest to use, orcad is definitely easier to learn and use.

I do not find any Best one, because
many tool has common capabilties
and 1 or 2 good thing the others
are missing.
Orcad is commoly used because it
was "dropped" at many universities
for education purpose. At least in
Europe.
But in many cases Protel, Altium,
Kicad and many others are as good
as Orcad.
I still have a "dropped" version of