Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best design for new processor+ Graphics card or chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegolasYiu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was thinking of making a card that has processor (like Xeon E3 processor) with high performance graphics got GPGPU in one PCIe card design. Is that possible? How can I start designing it? This is for deep learning purposes.

Attachments

• server.png
    server.png
    11 KB · Views: 113

At least for me it is not clear the end application of this board, for instance if it is also intended to perform general control of other stuffs or just graphics acceleration, but if you are considering to embeed both the Xeon CPU and the Nvidia GPU both working together you are certainly aware the most computing benchmarks show a similar performance, leastways within the same magnitude order.

Good point. I want to reduce bottlenecks for CPU and GPU communications.

I updated my design. Do you think it is better layout?

Attachments

• server.png
    server.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 104

Your diagram is no much more than a scratch, in other words it is not a project illustration. For a system of this complexity would be expected the outline of an architecture in detail, or at least with more whim. Also, you did not inform the specifications of your project / application, as suggested earlier. Apparently, now you are considering working with both operated independently, not interconnected. I can not be expert in this, but I would have considered putting both the CPU and GPU on the same bus of the board, with no bridge. Had you considered both CPU/GPU within a single chip, either on hard or softcore ? Had you made researches on the capabilities of each alternatives to check which one better meets your requirements ? Anyway, as a good practice, to establish the requirements would be the first step before drawing up the project. Just an additional check: Did you really considered the power "bus" at the above general diagram, or is it a signal bus ? I am seriously beginning to doubt that you have actually been assigned to a task like this.

Thanks for the information. I will research on the capabilities of each alternatives. I think GPU+CPU integration will reduce latency even more. I consider the power bus a general diagram. I need to find out the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back