Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best book to learn VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertymc2

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In the past few days I tried to learn VHDL, I bought "Digital System Design Using VHDL" (Charles H. Roth, Jr.) and "Digital Design Using Digilent FPGA Boards" (Richard E. Haskell, Darrin M. Hanna). I did my first UART which simulates flawlessly in Modelsim and soon I will receive a MAX3232 to do some real world tests with the BASYS2.
Unfortunately I still don't like the way I code: I don't know the libs, I don't know the code style guidelines, I don't how to implement something efficiently in an FPGA, etc..
I just learned some basics because of trial and error, mainly thanks to google :lol:
Can you please suggest me a *good* book to learn VHDL proficiently for a beginner?

Looks like you re off to a good start. Good code comes with practice and usage. Coding guidelines are set by companies to ensure all their code looks the same.

as for libraries, you should use numeric std, as its part of the vhdl standard, std-logic-unsigned and arith are not. You should be wary text books if all their examples use these libraries, they are stuck in the past (like 20 yrs in the past)

Status
Not open for further replies.