Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bessel Filter: calculate group delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavel47

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Bessel filters is know by its good phase characteristics: in passband phase is proportional to frequency, so group delay (which is derivative of phase with respect to frequency) is constant.
But is there some formula that calculates exactly the group delay based on filter parameters:

• cut-off frequency
  • filter order
Thanks in advance

Pavel

Thanks,
In the formula for group delay omega is normalized frequency, i.e. omega = omega' / omega_cut_off.
where omega' - is angular frequency, i.e. omega' = 2*Pi*F. Correct ?
When calculating delay at zero frequency (F = 0), I obtain group delay = 1.

But at zero frequency group delay should be 1/omega_cut_off ?

Where I've been mistaken with my considerations.

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

When using normalized frequencies you obtain group_delay=1 because in normalized values omega_cut_off =1 . So, you have group_delay=1/omega_cut_off as you expected.

Note that when using non-normalized values time has dimensions of seconds and omega has dimensions of 1/time (i.e. 1/s).
In normalized values, all (i.e. time as well as frequency) is adimensional (just numeric values refering to normalization values).
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back