Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BEHAVIOUR OF AN INDUCTOR vs CAPACITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

innovation1

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AN INDUCTOR

HI.......... A CAPACITOR PASSES AC N BLOCKS DC..... SAME WAY OR ANY OTHER WAY WHT DOES AN INDUCTOR DO??????????????

Re: AN INDUCTOR

The inductor passes DC and blocks AC if its value is high enough.

innovation1 said:
HI.......... A CAPACITOR PASSES AC N BLOCKS DC..... SAME WAY OR ANY OTHER WAY WHT DOES AN INDUCTOR DO??????????????
The inductor resistance is X = w * L, where w - angular frequency (rad/s) and L - inductance (H).

haker_fox said:
The inductor resistance is X = w * L.

The reactance not resistance!
Impedance is an complex number Z where:

Z=R+jX

R - resistance
X - reactance

it stores energy for a longer period of time created by passing electric current through the inductor........

inductor stores energy..... so can it be used as a source to drive a circuit....

innovation1,
The difference can be explained from the fundamental equations.
For an inductor, v = Ldi/dt, Where V is the voltage across the inductior, L is the inductance, di/dt is the rate of change of current thru the inductor. For high frequencies, di/dt is a high value, therefore the voltage across the inductor is high. For DC, di/dt is zero, therefore the voltage across the inductor is zero.
For a capacitor, i = C dv/dt, where i is the current thru the capacitor, C is the capacitance, dv/dt is the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor. For DC, dv/dt is zero. Therefore the current through the capacitor is zero.
Regards,
Kral

innovation1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

micard said:
haker_fox said:
The inductor resistance is X = w * L.

The reactance not resistance!
Impedance is an complex number Z where:

Z=R+jX

R - resistance
X - reactance
I just did want to explain how AC passes through the inductor. Of course I had to write "reactance". It's my mistake. Sorry!

For C:
X=1/W*C
W-->Angular Frequency
Where W=2*Pi*f*C
Condition (1)When we are applying AC
then for AC f=50Hz(india)
i.e.there will be some reactance
so Capacitor will pass the AC.
Condition(2)When we are applying DC
then for DC f=0(zero)
so the X will become infinite that's why due to so much high reactance the current will not flow through the CAPACITOR.
It means that CAPACITOR will block the DC Current.

For L:
X=W*L
W-Angular frequency
where W=2*Pi*f*L
condition(1)When we apply DC to the inductor
then for AC f=0Hz
so the reactance will become zero that's why inductor will provide a smooth path to the DC Current.
Condition(2)When we are applying AC
then for AC f=50Hz(india)
i.e.there is reactance which will be more than the reactance(incase of DC).
So Inductor can't pass the AC Current.

It's the main basic for L & C.

Status
Not open for further replies.