Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner:Problem in Adding Instance in virtuoso Cadence.Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozy_walia

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
virtuoso add instance problem

I need to add an instantc ( PMOS) in cadence from a printed paper with following properties:
Instance name = M0
P_18_mm
l:180.0n
w=pPar("H")*k*240.0n/1
Nf:1

Problem1: when i write w=pPar("H")*k*240.0n/1 it appears as w=pPar("H") and everything is deleted after *

Problem2: when i write L = l:180.0n it appears as L = l:180.0n but not as l:180.0n according to graph. Is l:180.0n Length or something else?

Problem3: What is nF:1?

Problem4: How do i get P_18_mm on my circuit?? Do i need to associate a technology file?

cadence help for instance

Why don't you use the GUI for adding the and instance and then change its properties to what you require. Adding a component instance from the sidebar is really easy.

cannot instantiate view cadence virtuoso

I am using GUI but i dont know how to do this ... please read again to understand!

how to name instances in virtuoso

I am still struggling with it ...:(

add technology file cadence

Was it a very simple one or a tough question?? no 1 answering....

what is the tech lib you are using. Unless until you attach your design to a tech lib, parameters such as channel length and other things specific to the technology cannot be inferred by the tool. If you are using the ncsu CDK, then right click on your design library and attach it to the technology on which you wish to design you circuit.

amarnath

Should i include the tech file in beginning or I can do it after building the design!
Will it have an adverse effect?

Added after 2 minutes:

I am using cdsdefTechLib

you cannot do schematic entry until you have a default library attached. Your design should be attached to something like tsmc_035d etc...you cannot attach it to cdsdeftechlib.unless until your schematic library is technology independent, you cannot do schematic entry till you have attched a tech lib

amarnath

Many thanks for your response Amarnath .
I understood this thing from you.

I am going to redraw my schemetic and hence on starting cadence when i make a new library it asks me for a tech file.
Now i have a tech file but i do not know how to attach it with new library. I tried CDSDOC but could not get through.
Can anyone please guide me through step by step instructions so that i will be able to do this!
Thanks in anticipation,
--
Dozy

tell us what tech libs are installed if any? if not tell your admin to install the ncsu cdk, you have 5-6 different tech libs available in this, you can then work on any of them. also please refer to hundreds of cadence tutorials on the web.

Re: Beginner:problem in Adding Instance in virtuoso Cadence.

dozy_walia said:
I need to add an instantc ( PMOS) in cadence from a printed paper with following properties:
Instance name = M0
P_18_mm
l:180.0n
w=pPar("H")*k*240.0n/1
Nf:1

Problem1: when i write w=pPar("H")*k*240.0n/1 it appears as w=pPar("H") and everything is deleted after *

Problem2: when i write L = l:180.0n it appears as L = l:180.0n but not as l:180.0n according to graph. Is l:180.0n Length or something else?

Problem3: What is nF:1?

Problem4: How do i get P_18_mm on my circuit?? Do i need to associate a technology file?

To add an instance use the tool bar, (shortkey = i) and find the pmos in yout technology file. You can change the properties right away when you add the instance or afterwards, choose the "properties" (shortkey = q).

To modify the Width and Length, L=180nm not l:180nm, just write down in front of the Length, 180nm. and as for the Width, the same in the box in front of Width. do not insert w: ..., write down just the equation.

NF means number of fingers. It means if you want to fold your transistors in case it has a large width. NF=1 means you won't fold your transistor and keep the width as it is. When you fold your transistor, it has the advantage of first consume less area and second the gate resistance will be decreased.

It would be better if you read some Cadence tutorials. There are thousands of them on internet.

Good Luck.

dozy_walia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Many thanks for your response Amarnath .
I understood this thing from you.
dozy_walia said:
I am going to redraw my schemetic and hence on starting cadence when i make a new library it asks me for a tech file.
Now i have a tech file but i do not know how to attach it with new library. I tried CDSDOC but could not get through.
Can anyone please guide me through step by step instructions so that i will be able to do this!
Thanks in anticipation,
--
Dozy
Hi,
Create a new library. Whe u create it a new window pops up with 3 options. In that select "Attach to a tech file". You get a list of all libraries in your directory. Ask someone what is the name of youy tech file. If you are using 0.35um AMS then most prob it will be name_35. For IBM 90nm it will be CMS9FLP. After that you creat a new Cell View. You name it and type schematic in View Name and tool will be Composer-Schematic. For layout the view will be layout and tool will be Vituoso.
Then in the new window which pops up, type i and you will get a list of components that you can instantiate in the diagram.
Hope this helps..
Vab

Added after 1 minutes:

dozy_walia said:
Should i include the tech file in beginning or I can do it after building the design!
Will it have an adverse effect?
Added after 2 minutes:

I am using cdsdefTechLib

If you forgot to attach a tech file you can change the properties of the librarr you have created.

dozy_walia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Very Well Explained!
Thanks for this! I read the same thing from CDSDOC. This is very big and frightens me always and forces me to come to this forum. I am searching some good cadence tutorials and have got enough from edaboard. Thanks!!
But I did not understand Folding of transistors?
What if i increase it from 1 to 4??
I have defined the width as explained and put in the value in the upper heirerchy by using pPar..
Still I am getting an error:

input:scs= function pPar is used recursive or undefined!

dozy_walia said:
Very Well Explained!
Thanks for this! I read the same thing from CDSDOC. This is very big and frightens me always and forces me to come to this forum. I am searching some good cadence tutorials and have got enough from edaboard. Thanks!!
But I did not understand Folding of transistors?
What if i increase it from 1 to 4??
I have defined the width as explained and put in the value in the upper heirerchy by using pPar..
Still I am getting an error:

input:scs= function pPar is used recursive or undefined!

hi
the best tutorial is by Cadence itself. It is very comprehensive and useful..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back