Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner: How can I calculate Vds

Status
Not open for further replies.

princerock

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Consider a simple common source with active load circuit as shown below:

Assuming all the transistors work in saturation and assign Vov=Vgs-Vt

The output swing should be: Vdd-Vov1-Vov2

If I want a 2V output swing and Vdd=2.5v, then I can get Vov1+Vov2<0.5v

Then according to other specifications (such as dc gain) I can do raw calculation about the size of M1 and M2 and let them meet the requirement Vov1+Vov2<0.5.

But in simulation, Vds2 is much larger than Vds1 and thus M1 can't work in saturation(Vds1<Vgs1-Vtn). This is because I assume Vds=Vov when I did the calculation but in fact Vds>Vov also makes transistors saturated. Obviously I can see that Vds1+Vds2=Vdd, but how can I calculate Vds1 and Vds2 and make ture Vds>Vov for both transistors?

Make sure your input bias voltage is correct.

take care of bias voltage of net12

You also need to take care of the bias currents (DC) flowing thru two branchs....as the Wp/Wl is around 1, Vov1+Vov2<0.5 should be distributed with their majority carrier velocities which is generally 2.5.....you can check once more the calculation u performed for the same....also the input swing is of important concern

Vov2=Vov3, which is fixed. Make sure Vov1<0.5-Vov3.

Common source amplifier with active load has very high and sharp gain. As can be shown in the figure, you should bias Q point. But it is not easy. In the Q point, VGS voltage of M1 should be equal to VGS1 voltage. more information in the book Sedra&Smith Fig 5.45 in 4th edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back