Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basics of designing PCB at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

purifier

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've always wondered how people design PCBs... Suppose i have a circuit which is not that large.. Contains only a couple of ICs and resistors and capacitors... How do i design a PCB and then make the PCB board at home? I mean what are the tools required and stuff like that?

I have access to the following:
1. Multisim
2. Eagle PCB
3. PCB123

Can someone please help me...?

basics of pcb design

If you design a pcb using computer programs (as you stated) the result, in your case (at home) will be a printout. Do you know something about home photography? You will need that knowlage to create an "artwork" and, also, you will have to use a "dark room". Having this done you will use light-sensitive spray (positive or negative) and spray this stuff on a blank PCB. Then you will lay this artwork on the sprayed PCB and expose it to UV light. Next operation will be to remove unexposed (exposed) paint using a solvent, and next etch the PCB in etchant such as for example Ferric Chloride ..
If the PCB is really very simple, you can design the PCB layout on 0.1" paper, reverse the paper, then using a puncher punch the places where you have pins of components, drill 0.8mm, and using a PCB pen (if you dont have you can use a syringe and a nail lack) draw all pads and trucks. Then you will etch the board in an etchant and your PCB is ready .. Mayby this one will not look very proffesional, but you can do it in half an hour ..
Regards,
IanP

Re: PCB Basics

Thanks a lot.. The second part was very useful... Could i have a more detailed tutorial on that? I mean the contents of the pen and how to use it... What chemicals to use exactly? The first one is good but i don't have any chemicals or raw materials with me... So are there any PCB making kits available out there?

Making a PCB with a pen seems to be good. But at first place how do i make a PCB layout... Will i have to learn volumes to just design a layout for a small circuit consisting of atmost 100 components? Most of them resistors and capacitors... Please help...

Re: PCB Basics

You can rich a very good compromise by designing a PCB using a computer software and basing on this computer design (which has this advantage that most of software packages include components libraries such as resistors, caps, ICs, transistors ....) paint it on a blank PCB using, for example, erlier mentioned PCB pen: see sites like this **broken link removed** for more details on PCB pens.
This option is only good when you don't have time or resources to develop PCB more professsionally ..

Before you start with PCB design go to PCB design tutorials from which you can learn basics. Here is one example:
http://www.pcb123.com/tutorials/PDF%20Documents/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf#search='pcbdesigntutorial'

Regards,
IanP

PCB Basics

Thanks a lot... Thats an awesome tutorial... I'll read that and i'll get back if i have any more queries... Thank you very much for your time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back