Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic questions about the pins of a cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henol

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry for any mistake I may make, I'm not English.
I've also never worked in electronics.

Here is my situation: I've been told to power a particular device and to transmit its signal to a BNC, without any more information. After some research, I found that I'm gonna have to deal with a 9pin cable. I found two diagrams of this cable:

Firt diagram:
Shield
Pwr Rtn
Power-
Pwr Rtn
Power+
Lock-
Lock+
Sig -
Sig +

Second diagram:
Shield
Gnd
Power-
Gnd
Power+
Gnd
Press+
Sig -
Sig +

Here are a few questions, but feel free to give any advice for newbe:

1) Shield, Power Rtn (Return?), Lock-, and ground all have to be grounded, have they not? Why are they called differently ?

2) How to transmit the signal to a BNC ?
Sig- for the outside of the BNC, Sig + for the inside ? Or should I ground the outside and transmit only sig+ to the inside, and don't use sig- ?

3) What's Press+/Lock+ ? What do I have to do with that ?

I will perhaps think about other questions later;

Thank you for your help!!

Can't be answered without knowing what the "particular device" is, and some additional information.

Apparently the "device" involves differential signal outputs, so "transmit its signal to a BNC" possibly implies to connect an instrumentation amplifier. To determine a suitable gain, more device data is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back