Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Barbecue brush for video card dust cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindd992002

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Will using a bbq brush like this:

in cleaning off dust from video card (or any other electronic component) produce static electricity that may destroy the components?

That looks like a natural bristle chip brush and I have not
noticed them being particularly static-y. You could wet it
and blot dry (the bristles will retain some moisture) and
have pretty decent suppression of any triboelectric charging.
But guarantees, I'm not making.

Better than a synthetic bristle I'm pretty sure, unless it
is specially made to be conductive.

That looks like a natural bristle chip brush and I have not
noticed them being particularly static-y. You could wet it
and blot dry (the bristles will retain some moisture) and
have pretty decent suppression of any triboelectric charging.
But guarantees, I'm not making.

Better than a synthetic bristle I'm pretty sure, unless it
is specially made to be conductive.

Oh ok. What do you mean by synthetic bristle? The brush I have is colored black and is kinda soft like the one in the pic.

Natural bristle = animal hair
Synthetic bristle = made out of plastic, or similar

Kevin,

Can you get some data about material with which the brush you refer was made ?
Having this information you will be able to evaluate its ability to keep some electric charge:

http://www.gordonbrush.com/static_electricity.php

+++

This: **broken link removed** is exactly what I have
Based on the description, it is 100% pure natural bristle, if that even means anything helpful?

This...is exactly what I have
Based on the description, it is 100% pure natural bristle, if that even means anything helpful?

Based only on webpage provided abote, it is not preciselly defined what kind of animal their anti-static brushes are made of.
Materials for Anti-Static Brushes
Our anti-static brushes are made from low charging materials and natural bristle materials that are near neutral on the triboelectric chart. These anti-static brushes neither give nor take electrons and, therefore, remain essentially electrically neutral. There can, however, be a slight charge created. In extreme voltage sensitive applications, these anti-static brushes should be used only in a liquid environment.
Source: https://www.gordonbrush.com/anti-static-brushes.html

+++

Based only on webpage provided abote, it is not preciselly defined what kind of animal their anti-static brushes are made of.

Source: https://www.gordonbrush.com/anti-static-brushes.html

+++

Well, I did proceed in using the brush on the card this morning and when I plugged it back in my computer it was working fine. Since the brush I have is china made, I don't think I can still look for an accurate datasheet that mentions its material type. How about using the brush included with the Metro DataVac: **broken link removed** ?

Status
Not open for further replies.