Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bandwidth and gain of microstrip antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwband

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gain of microstrip antenna

Hi All,

Microstrip antenna has already well known to have a very narrow bandwidth and also low gain. We have already known that this phenomenon is due to the Q-factor of the antenna. But, many of recently published papers show that we could obtain wider bandwidth and high-gain at the same time. How could we explain this phenomena?

regards,

Gain of maicrostrip antenna is increase by the array of antenna. this is the only way to increase the gain of antenna.

If you want to increase the BW of antenna then you must cut some slot in ground plane of make slot at the edge of the microstrip antenna so it will radiate at frequency near the resonance frequency of the so ultimately frequency increase.

Hi Vkalariya,

Thanks for the response.
You're right. We can increase the gain by making an array and increase the bandwidth by cut some slot on the ground.
I think the method to increase the gain of MSA not only making it as an array but we can also do a stacked to obtain high-gain and wideband MSA.

What I want to ask is the reason of this phenomena in correlation with the Q-factor. As we know that high-Q is the reason for a high-gain antenna and the low-Q is for a wideband antenna. How could this happen in the design of high-gain and wideband MSA?

Thanks.

regards,

Well mwband

i will tell the equation which relate the Q and the BW with the VSWR

BW = (VSWR - 1) / ( Q * (VSWR)^0.5)

this equation tell that if you want to increase the BW then you must compromise with VSWR(S11) and the Q factor for the antenna.

Well mwband

i will tell the equation which relate the Q and the BW with the VSWR

BW = (VSWR - 1) / ( Q * (VSWR)^0.5)

this equation tell that if you want to increase the BW then you must compromise with VSWR(S11) and the Q factor for the antenna.

Hi vkalariya,

Yup, I know that equation.
I will re-write my last posting:

What I want to ask is the reason of this phenomena in correlation with the Q-factor. As we know that high-Q is the reason for a high-gain antenna and the low-Q is for a wideband antenna. How could this happen in the design of high-gain and wideband MSA?

regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back