Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Backplane Termination using DDR Termination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schatzy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a new backplane that uses Eurocard connectors. It is an 18 slot backplane and uses signalling that is similar to the traditional VME style.

I have been looking at DDR termination as a means to control reflected signals in traces and I see that I might have better luck "tuning" my backplane if I were to use a Vtt regulator at about 2.6V and a single resistor to each trace of the backplane. This resistor would be set to a value of around 100 ohms and there would be a resistor placed at both ends of the backplane and connected to the Vtt bus.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good implementation? Are there any comments as to the values of the resistors or the Vtt voltage value?

I may have specified this termination technique incorrectly...
If I were to use a 100 ohm series termination resistor at each end of the strip-line on my backplane and it is connected to a 2.6V power supply there would be a reduction in the power loss of the backplane and it would be easier to 'tune the impedances of my larger backplanes.
I am having difficulty understanding what the effect would be to the backplane's traces if I terminated all of the lines this way. Also, I cannot find any literature that discusses this technique. Perhaps the technique is more of a GTL style than DDR.

Any comments?

Completed my first project with this kind of termination... Actually it is called "Active Termination" and uses a series resistor connected between each end of the backplane strip-line and a power supply (called Vtt).
I set the voltage level at 2.6V to balance the loading on the lines so that the drivers on each card have less of a current demand when transitioning. 2.6V is slightly into the logic "1" condition causing the backplane to still have the pullup characteristic which is typical.
The old termination technique required a constant current of about 1.5A to bias the pullups and pulldowns. My new backplane uses about 50mA or so! I made a 3 slot and am getting ready to try the 18 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back