Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR Dragon & Arduino (mega1280) Cannot enter programming mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblu3710

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently purchased an Arduino with an atmega1280 on it. I did not get it to use the Arduino IDE but just as a handy board to use with AVR Studio and my Dragon.

I purchased a new computer around the same time and it is running windows 7 64bit, I downloaded AVR Studio 5.1 and plugged in my Dragon. I upgraded to the latest firmware as it forces you to do. I then connected the Dragon to the Arduino and I get the following error:

Code:
[ERROR] Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00, ModuleName: TCF (TCF command: Device:startSession failed.)

I have verified the ribbon cable pinouts are the same on both ends and have continuity. Pin 1 goes to Pin 1 and so forth. AVR Studio can read the 5.0V on the sense line but that is it.

I then installed libusb-win (1.6.2.0) and used avrdude to get a more descriptive error: pasebin output

I have tried to wire up an atmega8 and atmega128 on breadboard with ISP and JTAG connections and I get the same errors as above but it makes more since to troubleshoot the PCB to PCB connection issue to eliminate any mis-wireings I may have.

Any idea where to start looking for the problem???

Were you ever able to use your Dragon to program the Arduino? Or did these issues first occur when you received your new computer system?

BigDog

I used my dragon about two years ago on my old windows xp machine with AVR Studio 4 and it worked great, every now and then the drivers freaked out though but it was just an xp thing. I then migrated to Linux only for the next year and never had a problem with it.

This is my first time on Win7 and the first firmware upgrade on the dragon since quite a while. I have not used it with an Arduino before.

I'm trying to track down an xp machine I can install Studio 4 on and see if its just my Win7 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back