Status
Not open for further replies.

dwep

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In type design,there is a transformer for audio signal coupling.But I do not know how to calculate the characteristic impedance of the transformer.
So I want to use 2 caps to replace the transformer.But I do not know this idea is good or bad.

Transformer coupled balanced in- and outputs have been and are still used with professional audio equipment to suppress common mode interferences. Using capacitors isn't a good idea generally, cause they don't provide any common mode isolation.

Nominal characteristic impedance for balanced audio is typically 600 ohm (derived from telephone line impedance). But this doesn't say much about the transformer characteristics, actually. The more important parameters are main inductance, leak inductance and possible unsatured maximum voltage capability at low frequency (e. g. 20 Hz). Also an audio signal transformer usually needs effective magnetic shielding to prevent interferences from power supply transformers.

Balanced amplifiers may be an alternative to transformers if common mode interfering voltages can be assured to keep a certain limit, as it's the case with most audio systems, e. g. stage PA.

“Balanced amplifiers may be an alternative to transformers if common mode interfering voltages can be assured to keep a certain limit, as it's the case with most audio systems, e. g. stage PA.”

Thankyou for your reply,but I have read the APPLICATION NOTE "Understanding Common-Mode Signals"of Maxim,It said that the cap can achieve high common-mode-signal rejection.

And before the cap I also use balanced amplifiers to transfor converse the single to difference.

Pls tell me the problem.Thanks

I don't know your particular application, so I can't say that the capacitive coupling is unsuited in your case. But obviously, I can only isolate common mode DC voltage, not AC. I also doubt, if the Maxim AN is meant for audio applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…