Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio signal on House Power System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unix60959

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys, I know this concept was tried back in the 60s? maybe 70's? Not completely sure but I do know that this idea was tried before. The idea is to use high pass filters in conjunction with the power system in your house to filter out the 120v @ 60hz and allow an audio signal to pass. So, in theory you should be able to hook an audio source somewhere into your power system and effectively 'plug' a speaker into any outlet/light socket in the house and be able to play music. I think that the only problem with this is that you still got some noise from the 60hz signal, but that was a long time ago and now capcitors are better so maybe there will be less noise?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

unix60959

Long ago you might have been able to do this by simple analog filtering. But with today's switching power supplies and generaly poorer power line quality I think there will be far too much noise in the audio band. You MIGHT be able to do it by heterodyning the audio to a much higher frequency, maybe 1MHz, but you would have to do some research to find a good frequency band.

The more modern way would be to digitally encode the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.